Non-Brompton folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheap, certainly - but is it an actual functioning bicycle, or merely a BSO?
I guess one man's BSO is another man's bargain. I have seen these folders up close in Halfords, and would not describe them as a BSO. Occasionally I pop into SportsDirect, and just inside the door they have MTBs with 'full suspension', all for around 100 quid. These I would describe as BSOs.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
I guess one man's BSO is another man's bargain. I have seen these folders up close in Halfords, and would not describe them as a BSO. Occasionally I pop into SportsDirect, and just inside the door they have MTBs with 'full suspension', all for around 100 quid. These I would describe as BSOs.
Interesting - but unfortunately, the staff in my nearest Halfords, both in-person and on the phone, are so very rude that I refuse to contribute in any way to their wages!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’ve got a Bike Friday which I like. Made in the US and consequently you won’t find many in the U.K. but they are well built and a premium product like Brompton. They come in all sorts of configurations.
Looking on the evil bay I found one which might suit you. The seller states it was made specifically for them at 5’. Even has shorter cranks. Starting at £350. They cost £1k+ new. Missing a saddle but that would allow yo to pick your own. I rpealise you can’t try before you buy but it is a good price. If you don’t like it you can sell it on.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174773168380

Last edited:
I’ve got a Bike Friday which I like. Made in the US and consequently you won’t find many in the U.K. but they are well built and a premium product like Brompton. They come in all sorts of configurations.
Looking on the evil bay I found one which might suit you. The seller states it was made specifically for them at 5’. Even has shorter cranks. Starting at £350. They cost £1k+ new. Missing a saddle but that would allow yo to pick your own. I rpealise you can’t try before you buy but it is a good price. If you don’t like it you can sell it on.
well spotted cycleops, but is the bike friday really a folder? I had the idea (maybe mistaken) that it was rather something you could dismantle to varying degrees.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Thanks for that. I've read lots of good things about Bike Friday - and to come 'ready to use' as it were with 160mm cranks is brilliant - but I think that a well-used 22 yo bike will inevitably need more maintenance and replacement parts than even a half-decent 'new' one, and - currently at least - I'm not set up for anything other than the lightest of maintenance and cleaning jobs, which is one of the reasons I've decided to look only at bikes with a fully-sealed hub gear instead of the combo the Bike Friday seems to have. I'll keep it on watch though as it'll be interesting to see what price it reaches!

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
well spotted cycleops, but is the bike friday really a folder? I had the idea (maybe mistaken) that it was rather something you could dismantle to varying degrees.
Yes good point! They look like folders but I agree with you - I've jut realised that I too have a vague idea they're 'modular' rather than 'folding' and don't they come with their own suitcases which can be used as a sort of very-small-wheeled trailer?

Yes good point! They look like folders but I agree with you - I've jut realised that I too have a vague idea they're 'modular' rather than 'folding' and don't they come with their own suitcases which can be used as a sort of very-small-wheeled trailer?
I seem to remember someone on a ride showing me one on a ride and that the "fast dismantle" gave you two bits.
Some folders of course fold better than others. I have a dahon speed pro folding sports bike - it is somewhat ungainly when folded and all relies on something with a clever name that is essentially a scewed on magnet which is prone to falling off.
If buying a folder I would strongly suggest hands-on testing the folding.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes it’s a proper folder. Mine has a very odd cable arrangement but later ones are different with a better fold. You might be thinking of Moulton.

I can understand why you want a sealed hub gear @KnittyNorah ,mine has a Alfine 8 speed hub and its great. Also has disc brakes which is another plus. I have an idea BF offer a suitcase. Being 22 years old wouldn’t necessarily mean more maintenance, I have forty years bikes which need very little attention. There’s always the the local bike shop if you don’t want to do things yourself.
I see the bike has a Sachs 3 speed hub so you could remove the derailleur and just have that if you didn’t need the spread of gears. I know it’s a bit of a hassle but it’s a simple job and your LBS could do it for you. You would then have a mount specificity tailored to you and I think you’re really going to struggle finding something that suits off the shelf.

Last edited:
Yes it’s a proper folder. Mine has a very odd cable arrangement but later ones are different with a better fold.

I can understand why you want a sealed hub gear @KnittyNorah ,mine has a Alfine 8 speed hub and its great. Also has disc brakes which is another plus. I have an idea BF offer a suitcase. Being 22 years old wouldn’t necessarily mean more maintenance, I have forty years bikes which need very little attention. There’s always the the local bike shop if you don’t want to do things yourself.
I see the bike has a Sachs 3 speed hub so you could remove the derailleur and just have that if you didn’t need the spread of gears. I know it’s a bit of a hassle but it’s a simple job and your LBS could do it for you. You would then have a mount specificity tailored to you and I think you’re really going to struggle finding something that suits off the shelf.
to clarify cycleops, which bike has the sachs hub? the ebay bike? Didn't sachs become sram and sram then move out of making geared hubs? My speed pro has an sram dual drive but it isn't made anymore. It's working fine but I doubt I could ever get anyone to do any work on it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The eBay bike has the Sachs. Might even be possible to put a new rear wheel in with an Alfine, but more cost of course but still worth it if it gives you what you want.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Interesting about old Dahon designs being sold under different brand names. Definitely something to look out for!

We (myself and wife) have two unbranded Chinese Dahon type folders. Some friends have genuine Dahon folders (they are very happy with them, by the way). Our Chinese copies look very, very similar.

I paid £250 each for them, about 4 years ago. They have alloy frame, 6 speed gears, rack, mudguards etc, and weigh 10kg each. Although they do fold, IMHO, they are not all that portable, OK to put in boot of car, or, perhaps, carry onto train/metro, but, not really practical to carry for any significant distance.

We bought them, mainly, to use with our Campervan, which we have done, but, now we prefer to take full size hybrids.

We are 73/74 years old, so, not olympic athletes. We have ridden upto twenty miles on them, no problem, but, I use mine mainly to cycle to the pub, or, to travel to from home after taking car for service etc.

Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 10.22.46.png

Top Bottom