Non-Brompton folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
BikeFridays are excellent machines and being chromo are strong and durable. They did come out with a 16 inch wheel bike, the Pakit which separates quickly, but the old ones all fold. As far as being 20 years old, niot a big deal. Sachs 3 speeds have a good rep, and for a while Brompton used them, so an LBS that has sold Bromptons may well have someone who has worked on them before. Unlike most folders, BikeFridays were usually made to order so a BF made for a 5ft person would have everything in proportionate geometry. Personally, I would prefer a 20 year old quality machine than a low end Al bike.

Kell

Veteran
Personally, I would prefer a 20 year old quality machine than a low end Al bike.

This ^

A well set up quality bike - even if it's old - will always be a better buy than a cheap one. And by cheap I don't necessarily mean less expensive.

GCN did a test a little while ago with a cheap road bike that was designed to look like a high-end bike. It was dreadful and at 15+ kg was very heavy.

For the same price, you could get a Triban, which is much plainer, but actually built very well.

I know it's off topic, but here's the link.

We Bought A “Superbike” From Amazon For £300: How Bad Is It? - YouTube

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
This ^

A well set up quality bike - even if it's old - will always be a better buy than a cheap one. And by cheap I don't necessarily mean less expensive.

GCN did a test a little while ago with a cheap road bike that was designed to look like a high-end bike. It was dreadful and at 15+ kg was very heavy.

For the same price, you could get a Triban, which is much plainer, but actually built very well.

I know it's off topic, but here's the link.

We Bought A “Superbike” From Amazon For £300: How Bad Is It? - YouTube
Well, I've already pointed out the issue of weight on a bike someone pointed me at; I'm looking at new Dahons, Terns and the like - not the top range of them - but not exactly BSOs.
I got rid of all my tools - I don't even have a multi-tool now! - when I sold my Islabike, as I thought I'd never be able to ride a bike again. I've started picking odd things up when I see them and keeping an eye open in Lidl and Aldi for their 'cycling events'; if I could still do a great deal of my own maintenance and fettling, I would jump at the 2nd hand Dahon but I simply can't - due to absence of space, facilities and equipment and, to be honest, I don't want to.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
So you’re going for a new Dahon or Tern. Will they be suitable bearing in mind your height issue?

According to the bumph, height is fine as the ones I'm looking at are all stated as suitable for heights 140cm up - and I'm a bit taller than that. I've also had very thorough and comprehensive replies from a couple of companies wrt detailed measurements, and will be fitting crank shorteners too (until I decide which length cranks are best … and if I need an eccentric pedal on one side. Then I'll probably get the 'right' length cranks fitted at some point).
Now just to find one with a hub gear - 7 spd for preference - actually in stock! I've got my eye on one with a 3-speed, but I'd prefer a 7 speed. I suspect 3spd would be ample, now that I live in the flatlands, but until a few years ago I've always lived in hilly country so it seems - solely in my mind, probably! - a bit … inadequate … If it proves inadequate after a summer's riding then I could get it changed, I suppose, as a Christmas present to myself!

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
WRT gear range, if it's not ridiculously hilly and you're not a speed merchant, then 3 speeds is probably OK.

I know you're not looking at Bromptons, but I hired one before buying mine, and that was a three speed.

For me, it was too undergeared at the top end but that could be sorted out with a larger chainring. The problem with doing that is that I have one very steep hill that I also needed a lower gear than the lowest standard gear. So needed the 6 speed - even though I only actually use gears 1, 5 and 6 + (a bit of 4 for setting off from a standing start).

My previous bike was a 27-speed Dahon so I was concerned that 6 wouldn't be anywhere near enough. But it is.

Top Bottom