Non-Brompton folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was initially looking for an e-folder (see thread here for reasons etc) but have given up after quite a bit of research and trying several for size. They are all so damned big - and I'm simply too small. Under 5ft, and somewhat-oddly proportioned lengthwise, too.
However, I have learnt that with a few contortions a step-through is not as essential as I thought it would be, and that I have a bit more use of my left foot and ankle than I thought I would have … So some good things and some not-so-good.
Now I'm on the search for an 'ordinary' folder, and obviously I want a definite step-up from the folding BSOs available in chain stores for a couple of hundred quid. I don't like Bromptons - have ridden them in the past and they're really not for me, and in addition I can't afford one, or justify spending that much.

I live in a flat area at present; there are a fair number of quiet lanes and even - gasp! - some tarmaced bike paths around, as well as unsurfaced (but decent surface, weather dependent, if you get my meaning) ones. I need a bike with lots of adjustability on as many points as possible, 20" wheels, and preferably, but not essentially, hub gears. Less messy and fragile when folded and stored indoors or taken on public transport. Light weight is a bonus of course but I don't plan to be carrying the thing very far. So far I'm looking at Bickerton, and also at the lower price end (under £1,000) of Tern and Dahon. Other suggestions or ideas are very welcome.

Here's an option:
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/folding-bikes/carrera-transit-folding-bike-361292.html

Has 3 speed Nexus hub gears, mudguards, stand and rack. Suitable for 4'10" and upwards.

byegad

Legendary Member
We've had 4 Dahons.
1 had 26" wheels and is not relevant to your need.
2 and 3 were £200, in 1999, 6 speed (derailleur) Boardwalks. Wide tyres, so good on a path as well as roads, capable even in my wife's 'not really a cyclist' hands of 30 or 40 mile rides. They folded adequately, and you can get a bag which drops over them to ensure you don't smear oil on furniture and passers-by.
No 4 was a Speed-Pro, 24 gears with 8 derailleur and a three speed hub, with narrow high pressure tyres, which was an all day, 60+ miles machine, folding almost identically to the Boardwalks. I would still be riding that if it weren't for my balance being unreliable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you checked out decathlon.
They used to do a rather nifty looking folder, though I have no idea how good it is.
I understand they are pretty good. Some models suffered hinge lock failures but I think decathlon did the right thing and replaced them new-for-old.

Also look for old Dahon designs being sold under other brands like Dawes.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Have you checked out decathlon.
They used to do a rather nifty looking folder, though I have no idea how good it is.
If it's the one I think you're probably referring to - their Tilt 900 - it's out of stock online, and my nearest branch is Bolton - of the high C-19 incidence, so I wouldn't be going there even if I knew for certain they had one - but they can't tell me one way or the other.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
I understand they are pretty good. Some models suffered hinge lock failures but I think decathlon did the right thing and replaced them new-for-old.

Also look for old Dahon designs being sold under other brands like Dawes.
Interesting about old Dahon designs being sold under different brand names. Definitely something to look out for!

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
We've had 4 Dahons.
1 had 26" wheels and is not relevant to your need.
2 and 3 were £200, in 1999, 6 speed (derailleur) Boardwalks. Wide tyres, so good on a path as well as roads, capable even in my wife's 'not really a cyclist' hands of 30 or 40 mile rides. They folded adequately, and you can get a bag which drops over them to ensure you don't smear oil on furniture and passers-by.
No 4 was a Speed-Pro, 24 gears with 8 derailleur and a three speed hub, with narrow high pressure tyres, which was an all day, 60+ miles machine, folding almost identically to the Boardwalks. I would still be riding that if it weren't for my balance being unreliable.
Thanks for that, definitely ticking the boxes there.

If it's the one I think you're probably referring to - their Tilt 900 - it's out of stock online, and my nearest branch is Bolton - of the high C-19 incidence, so I wouldn't be going there even if I knew for certain they had one - but they can't tell me one way or the other.
Well yes i did think to add a proviso about availability but didn't as it applies to pretty much everything. I wouldn't make a decision/ restrict your choice based on the bugger of covid though. Hold out for the most suitable bike.
Will be cycling through bolton soon, but won't be stopping.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Well yes i did think to add a proviso about availability but didn't as it applies to pretty much everything. I wouldn't make a decision/ restrict your choice based on the bugger of covid though. Hold out for the most suitable bike.
Will be cycling through bolton soon, but won't be stopping.

Yes the C-19 issue affects everything! But the bikes - or at least some of them - are out there as I've found over the past few weeks; you just have to be persistent in chasing them up. If Bolton wasn't in such a dire situation right now I'd go there on the offchance that Decathlon there might have one as I do indeed intend to get the most suitable bike for my needs and that'll probably take some finding.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've owned a Term Link Uno (Single Speed) for over five years now. I commute daily on it and love it to bits, it's been super reliable and a really nice bike to ride.

I'm not sure how tall my 7 year old son is, but he was riding it the other day with no bother, had the seat down at nearly its lowest setting and it all fitted him fine. Handlebars were possibly a little high and could be uncomfortable on longer rides?

The Uno itself is sadly no longer made, but they do an internal geared hub version in the link range. Exactly the same as mine, frame and fitting wise, just an internal geared hub. I know they used to do a 3 and 7speed, just not sure if they still do the 3 speed.

Top Bottom