Non cyclists say the funniest things..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

My favourite one ever (posted last year on C+) was the fat teenage girl who shouted after me, "Who do you think you are? Facking Louis Armstrong?". :rolleyes:

Pete

The ones I remember most were, some years ago, when my commute was longer (about 10 miles, and I didn't cycle every day) "You must be immensely fit" (if only it had been true!) and "how do you manage in the rain?". Surely these must be amongst the commonest.

One of the most uplifting things I've ever had said to me, not directly about cycling, was when someone, not so long ago, guessed at my age "you must be in your 40s, right?"

I'm 57. :rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

I occassionally get an incredulous "you cycle to Edinburgh, from Fife?!" Then after a few moments reflection "do you have a shower at work then?".

No I sit and reek all day.

Pete

I remember a not-so-welcome encounter with one of my bosses, in the days of my 10-mile commute. Was just about to embark on the gentle climb over the Downs into Brighton (and I mean gentle. Clayton Hill, not Ditchling Beacon). 4x4 pulls up alongside, and I recognise the man leaning across as one of our directors. "Hi, Pete, pop your bike in the back there's a good chap, I'll save you the effort of climbing that hill, have a nice easy run in the car for a change..." He was most put out when I declined his kind offer: "No thanks, but I have a perfectly good car of my own, sitting at home in the garage at the moment, if I'd wanted to come in by car I'd have taken my own..." Perhaps I was just a bit shirty there and then, he was rather cooler towards me ever after...

Such is life. (*sigh*)

Tetedelacourse

Pete said:
I remember a not-so-welcome encounter with one of my bosses, in the days of my 10-mile commute. Was just about to embark on the gentle climb over the Downs into Brighton (and I mean gentle. Clayton Hill, not Ditchling Beacon). 4x4 pulls up alongside, and I recognise the man leaning across as one of our directors. "Hi, Pete, pop your bike in the back there's a good chap, I'll save you the effort of climbing that hill, have a nice easy run in the car for a change..." He was most put out when I declined his kind offer: "No thanks, but I have a perfectly good car of my own, sitting at home in the garage at the moment, if I'd wanted to come in by car I'd have taken my own..." Perhaps I was just a bit shirty there and then, he was rather cooler towards me ever after...

Such is life. (*sigh*)

ha ha ha!

You'd have been as well saying "no thanks, I'd rather eat my own shoot".

snorri

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
I occassionally get an incredulous "you cycle to Edinburgh, from Fife?!" Then after a few moments reflection "do you have a shower at work then?".

No I sit and reek all day.

So (snorri in hesitant mode) maybe you are Auld Reekie:?::rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
I love it when you say..
'Just going for a quick 20 miler tonight'....

:rolleyes::ohmy::ohmy:...'you're joking arent you'...comes the usual reply. :rolleyes:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
On the London to Brighton on skates:

"That's cheating, you've got 8 wheels"
At the start and for the first few miles: "You're not going all the way are you?"
In the latter half: "NOOOoooo, you didn't really skate all the way did you?" No I just zarking teleported here to the middle of nowhere to make funny faces at you.

On a more cycling note:
Many people to me on the recumbent: "Ooooh, that looks uncomfortable!!" Are you stupid? How can lounging back on a suspended deckchair with a lovely cushion be uncomfortable in the *SLIGHTEST*?

To be fair, for someone who doesn't know what you are actually sitting on, a 'bent looks mightily uncomfortable and ungainly. Actually, despite knowing first hand that it is indeed comfortable and stable, I still think 'bents look ungainly!

Big Bren

Work colleague: "Do anything nice at the weekend?"

Me: "I went for a cracking bike ride on Sunday morning"

Work colleague: "How far?"

Me: "45 miles"

Work colleague: "No way, you fu**ing liar!"

Bren

Noodley

A few months ago I was planning a ride and was sticking a few photocopied map pages together during my lunch hour so I could map out the route.

A colleague saw me and said "what's that?" to which I replied "that's why I'll be taking Monday off." A few seconds passed by then she said "Aye, that is a long way to drive in a weekend."

Pete

BentMikey said:

"That's cheating, you've got 8 wheels"
At the start and for the first few miles: "You're not going all the way are you?"
In the latter half: "NOOOoooo, you didn't really skate all the way did you?" No I just zarking teleported here to the middle of nowhere to make funny faces at you.
To be quite honest, Bentmikey, in my ignorance, I'd have found it hard to believe that skaters were capable of distances and times comparable to cyclists. If I hadn't met you, and seen the evidence with my own eyes, that is. I am glad to be set right on that front! You must surely encounter a lot of disbelief!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BentMikey said:

On a more cycling note:
Many people to me on the recumbent: "Ooooh, that looks uncomfortable!!" Are you stupid? How can lounging back on a suspended deckchair with a lovely cushion be uncomfortable in the *SLIGHTEST*?

TBH Mikey, I'd feel uncomfortable on a 'bent...due to all the people pointing and sniggering :rolleyes:

Top Bottom