Non cyclists say the funniest things..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

gbb said:
I love it when you say..
'Just going for a quick 20 miler tonight'....

:rolleyes::ohmy::ohmy:...'you're joking arent you'...comes the usual reply. :rolleyes:

On a thursday before I go in for a late shift, I'll go out with a couple of vets from the club, we generally do 30-40 miles. When I get into work someone will sometimes ask me what I've been doing in the morning, I'll tell them I have been out on my bike, they'll ask how far, when I tell them, they'll just look incredulously at me! They'll say something like what this morning?That must have taken you hours, I'll say not really just over a couple of hours and it was fairly hilly, they'll look even more amazed,may as well have said I'd cycled 300 miles! Ha ha ha ha ha!!

terry huckle

What I get a lot of is "what puts me off cycling is the thought of all those hills" Puzzles me a bit since I live in Berkshire, not exactly renowned for snow capped peaks.

trio25

Über Member
Someone higher up than me at work saw me leaving in my bike stuff and asked where I lived. Bolton I replied, to which she replied, how will you get there?????

SamNichols

trio25 said:
Someone higher up than me at work saw me leaving in my bike stuff and asked where I lived. Bolton I replied, to which she replied, how will you get there?????

Perhaps she thought that you were setting off for your weekly trip to the fetish club?

trio25

Über Member
I hope not! I saw her the next day and said how nice a cyce ride it'd had been. Her look was priceless - Yopu cycled all that way? Yes and back again this morning I replied.

longers

Legendary Member
I've stopped telling my colleagues (apart from the two who cycle) what I've been up to on my bike as I think they think I'm lying.:rolleyes:

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think a lot of people are shocked by distance because the only experience they have of cycling is on shopper and bmx's. They don't realise just how fast road bikes are and the distance you cover in half the time.

a girl at work asked me if i had been out on my bike at the weekend, to which i answered "yea, but i only did a short 20 miler" to which she nearly choked on her food. "A short 20 miler????? " she asked. :rolleyes: i remember when i used to think like her and now it feels good that i don't think like that anymore.

Joe

Über Member
buggi said:
i remember when i used to think like her and now it feels good that i don't think like that anymore.
Same. I remember when I first got back into biking and was fretting over a ten mile ride from my mates house to town. We took loads of food with us thinking it would take hours:blush:
Fast forward a year or so to this morning where I did 85 quite hilly miles in under 5 and a half hours on a handful of energy bars:biggrin:

Me and a mate cycled from southern Sweden to Gibraltar two years ago; we stayed at a youth hostel in Denmark at the beginning of Novemeber and the old dear who ran the place asked us where we were heading.
Gibraltar, was my reply.
After a little pause to ponder my answer, she then asked me when we expected to arrive there.
Just before Christmas, was my reply.
After a little more thought she said, what, this year? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
As someone who is in the business of promoting cycling I am finding this thread both fascinating and rather depressing. It seems clear that the wider population imagines that cycling even quite a short distance is some kind of superhuman achievement. I think we will have to start targeting this issue more directly.

buggi

Bird Saviour
mickle said:
As someone who is in the business of promoting cycling I am finding this thread both fascinating and rather depressing. It seems clear that the wider population imagines that cycling even quite a short distance is some kind of superhuman achievement. I think we will have to start targeting this issue more directly.

yea but it's cool to be looked up to as well :rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

Eat MY Dust said:
I bet people call you "the smelly Fifer" behind your back!!

Speaking from personal experience monsieur?:rolleyes:;)

I'd settle for that EMD. I suspect that the reality is more along the lines of "That w@nker from Fife".

Plus some might argue that it your description doesn't really narrow it down any.

Top Bottom