Non-cyclists views on cycle paths/lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Is it me or do the majority of majority of motorists seem to think that a cycle lane/path is there for the connivence of motorists rather than for the safety of cyclists? What do people think can be done to correct this?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Is it me or do the majority of majority of motorists seem to think that a cycle lane/path is there for the connivence of motorists rather than for the safety of cyclists? What do people think can be done to correct this?
Not a thing :sad:
Well, not short term anyhow, maybe it will all change as more people both cycle and drive.

Conversation at a traffic light

Motorist: "You should be on the Cycle path"
Me: The one with the car transporter parked on it?"
Motorist: "You could walk round that bit"
Me: "What about the bit just ahead where there is a busy Bus Stop and a waste bin making it too narrow to use?"
Motorist: " You're just making excuses - you should be on the Cycle Path"

Reactions: geo

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
get rid of the suckers

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
make the white lines solid instead of broken...double red lines ...cross it and lose your licence instantly.

Building proper cycle lanes that we want to use would be a start, a lot of what is built is unsuitable and/or dangerous therefore rendering it useless. They also need to consider the routes they take as even when decent quality lanes are produced, they may not actually go where cycle users wish to go (thats the same places as everyone else BTW)

2367636 said:
We have done this one several times before. Where they exist they reduce the legitimacy of, or at least the popular perception therof, our right to be on the road. This then extends to places where there is no space for them to be put in. The net effect is therefore negative, so none is our better option.
Someone needs to point this out to Boris farking Johnson.

david k

Hi
They use cycle paths in Holland. Has Holland got it wrong when it comes to cycling?
Adamniewb333.JPG

2367985 said:
Look around you, could you put a cycle lane everywhere? If not, what do you do?

My point was that if drivers are getting annoyed that we are not using the provided facilities as they are inadequate and/or unsuitable then we need to address that issue first before we consider building more.

What is yours?

2368221 said:
That our right to use the road is the beginning, middle, and end of the argument

There is no argument here, its looking at why some drivers may regard cycle lanes as being there to remove cyclists from the roads for their convenience. Stating it is our right to be on the roads, whilst being a viewpoint I agree with BTW, does not help with that.

Top Bottom