Non-Emergency Ambulances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

So this morning on the bus/cycle lane part of my route a patient transport ambulance (no flashing lights, no sirens) passed me at speed and way too close (trying to stay in the lane as there was traffic on the other side of him)... Am I meant to get out of an ambulance's way if they're not in emergency mode? Are they even allowed in the bus lanes?

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Reminded me,Stratford.Sirens going as it goes through the red lights forcing me to brake sharply as I was going at a whack.Im pretty sure the sirens stopped after it went up the one way section.Also saw a cop car straight through a red U Turn with no sirens.Got them both on film but no time to check it out.

Not really too bothered but they are all at it.

michaelcycle

I don't think they're permitted in Bus Lane at all unless they are on an emergency call.

I doubt however that anything would be done even if reported however despite being a contravention - public policy and all that.

Last edited:

Kookas

Über Member
So this morning on the bus/cycle lane part of my route a patient transport ambulance (no flashing lights, no sirens) passed me at speed and way too close (trying to stay in the lane as there was traffic on the other side of him)... Am I meant to get out of an ambulance's way if they're not in emergency mode? Are they even allowed in the bus lanes?

No. You only have to yield if they have their lights going. Anything else, doesn't matter what the situation is, they're basically the same as any other vehicle, and if their lights aren't flashing, it's safe to assume that you being in front of them for a bit won't result in anyone's untimely fate.

PK99

Legendary Member
You only have to yield if they have their lights going..

There is no mandatory requirement to do even that:
HWC:

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Thanks! A colleague at work (ex-nurse) has just told me that those vehicles usually have volunteer drivers, wonder if that might be the problem? No training?

Thanks! A colleague at work (ex-nurse) has just told me that those vehicles usually have volunteer drivers, wonder if that might be the problem? No training?

FWIW: Patient Transport and A&E Support drivers are trained, and are not volunteers. There is then further training for blue light working.
Just like any other job, there are some idiots employed too.

andrewpreston

In defence of the emergency services, unlike on TV they do not always buzz round with blues & twos going even if they are responding to something. In the dark ages when I was a police officer, we would turn the bells and whistles off if we thought them unnecessary... Sometimes you don't want Burgler Bill to know you're on your way.

Kookas

Über Member
In defence of the emergency services, unlike on TV they do not always buzz round with blues & twos going even if they are responding to something. In the dark ages when I was a police officer, we would turn the bells and whistles off if we thought them unnecessary... Sometimes you don't want Burgler Bill to know you're on your way.

But at least for ambulances, no lights means no emergency. They might be responding to a non-urgent call, but that's not an emergency.

stowie

Legendary Member
Slightly OT but are standard coaches (holiday coaches / school coaches / nat express etc) allowed in London bus lanes? CS2 bus lanes are sometimes more crowded than the standard lane with taxis, buses, cyclists, coaches.

FWIW: Patient Transport and A&E Support drivers are trained, and are not volunteers. There is then further training for blue light working.
Just like any other job, there are some idiots employed too.

Fwiw - NHS ambulance trusts (ime) do take cyclist complaints very seriously ....... but not yet seriously enough to include cycle awareness training, either in initial training, or in ongoing professional assessments :angry:

wilkotom

Slightly OT but are standard coaches (holiday coaches / school coaches / nat express etc) allowed in London bus lanes? CS2 bus lanes are sometimes more crowded than the standard lane with taxis, buses, cyclists, coaches.

I believe they are; I've seen signs in some London bus lanes stating "Local buses only", implying the other bus lanes are open to anything that vaguely fits the description.

Top Bottom