Non-Emergency Ambulances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
2631295 said:
You feel that taking people who would severely struggle to get to hospital to hospital is on a par with taking fit healthy children to school?
Is it an emergency? No.
Why should they get to shoot through traffic faster? They need to get to hospital, mum needs to get to work. Everyones got priorities.
Until recently we’d a relative who was regularly using these services. Looks like in the near future we’ll have another. It’s good they get taken to their appointments. I don’t see why, if it’s not life threatening they should get special treatment.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
2631371 said:
I see it as normal road conditions, having taken steps to correct the congestion caused by the selfish.
The selfish?

PK99

Legendary Member
Is it an emergency? No.
Why should they get to shoot through traffic faster? They need to get to hospital, mum needs to get to work. Everyones got priorities.
Until recently we’d a relative who was regularly using these services. Looks like in the near future we’ll have another. It’s good they get taken to their appointments. I don’t see why, if it’s not life threatening they should get special treatment.

If transport to hospital were by taxi (as it is in france) she would be in the bus lane. It seems reasonable to me that if Taxis are allowed in Bus lanes, so too should be ambulances.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2631410 said:
People who insist on commuting by car when we have public transport, driving healthy children to school etc etc etc. They all demand road space.

Woah there, driving is not always the selfish option, sometimes it's the only option! I can take public transport to work and it would take me over an hour, where as in a car it's a 10 minute drive! And it's not like young kids can be expected to get on a bus themselves, sometimes driving kids to school is a necessity, a lot of parents work and can't afford to use hours of their days on public transport ferrying kids about... never mind the ridiculous costs of buses in my area... Way too harsh a sentiment there.

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
But at least for ambulances, no lights means no emergency. They might be responding to a non-urgent call, but that's not an emergency.
Thats not neceserrily true. I used to work in a job that involved transporting patients in an ambulance in an emergency, but we only used lights and sirens if we absolutely had to to clear the traffic.
An ambulance without blues and twos may well be responding to an emergency.

Someone who decides to propel a ton of metal containing a three piece suite fewer than 5 miles when they're the only person in the vehicle is, to put it mildly, not using resources sensibly.

wilkotom

Thats not neceserrily true. I used to work in a job that involved transporting patients in an ambulance in an emergency, but we only used lights and sirens if we absolutely had to to clear the traffic.
An ambulance without blues and twos may well be responding to an emergency.

Patient transport ambulances (usually minibuses with the word "Ambulance" on them, IME) wouldn't fit into this scenario though?

Sara_H

Guru
Patient transport ambulances (usually minibuses with the word "Ambulance" on them, IME) wouldn't fit into this scenario though?
No.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I think that counts as a choice, don't you?

No, who in their right mind would choose to lose 10 hours pay per week? That's if their work let them get away with working 10 hours less for a start, I'd probably lose my job! Is signing on instead of using a car a good choice? I must say I'm disappointed, I actually thought there'd be no completely irrational, unnecessary and immature driver hatred on a cycle forum. How wrong I was.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
2631410 said:
People who insist on commuting by car when we have public transport, driving healthy children to school etc etc etc. They all demand road space.

I know im anti-car but I really haven't got a problem with this.It's when they think they own the road and drive without due care,consideration and brains it really p15535 me off.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2632065 said:
In your opening post you talked about riding in the bus lane this morning, now it is necessary to be driving.

I do both. I didn't realise I had to choose a method and stick with it every day for life?

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Sorry you're feeling disappointed, but I have to ask who is being irrational and immature here? I own a car as it happens. And you could just get up earlier in the morning?

Would love to get up and leave earlier, but having a kid means I have to leave for work when she goes to school. Single mum, working and studying. Would love to have more hours in the day but I don't.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2632093 said:
No but it does rather undermine the compulsion part of your argument.

Not really, I could have been talking about anyone in any similar situation, not necessarily myself? Didn't think I had to point that out...

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2632114 said:
Is that the best substitute for an argument that you have?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be arguing about, or why you're picking an argument in the first place. I started this thread to ask a question, not to be trolled for something I wasn't even speaking about, and certainly not to promote or encourage hatred towards car drivers. That's not what I'm about, at all. But you carry on hating, if that's how you want to live your life.

Top Bottom