Non-Emergency Ambulances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Yes, there are many people on here who use many forms of transport (incluing buses, cars, trains and even foot).

My preference is bicycle, london underground, then bus.

Smilies are great :thumbsup:, especially when you are being tongue in cheek, I like this one :tongue:

I own a car and used to use it for work every day, but due to where I moved to and live now it has become useless (South Woodford, Central Line Zone 4).
I am seriously considering selling it and giving back my parents some of their drive space (they took it in and gave it a home for me until I make my mind up).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Various posts have been deleted.

Please keep On Topic and nice to one another :hugs:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Haha, some days I have as rest days, and some days I actually need the car for work stuff - don't crucify me for it!

I've emailed them saying I felt it was my duty to let them know, gave the place, time and date and a description of what happened, in the hope that they will maybe have a chat with their drivers about vulnerable road users. All very informal, so will see what happens.

Let us know how you get on.
It will be interesting to know how these things are dealt with in different parts of the country ( or galaxy ^_^ in the case of my profile).

BLUE(UK)

Those saying that they're not emergency should think about those who need set time treatments. I know some cancer treatments require this and the patients are ferried via ambulance/car and is allowed in bus lanes. It's not a blues and twos though.

Honestly, some people need to tone down their importance as a local jobsworth.

Yes I cycle but I somehow manage to negotiate the danger zones without too much issue.

Kookas

Über Member
Those saying that they're not emergency should think about those who need set time treatments. I know some cancer treatments require this and the patients are ferried via ambulance/car and is allowed in bus lanes. It's not a blues and twos though.

Yes I cycle but I somehow manage to negotiate the danger zones without too much issue.

Then they need to do like everyone else and leave earlier. What if they hit a wall of traffic?

Frood42

I know where my towel is
No need for most NHS ambulance services. All you need is date, time and area and they'll be able to pinpoint the ambulance and who was driving - the delights of GPS linked CAD systems. Some of the St John's / Red Cross ambulances may also be linked to the local ambulance service CAD systems but that varies from area to area.

I think the thing I pick out from your response is "most NHS ambulance services".
Perhaps I was too explicit in my sentence structure, as these were examples of what to try and capture if you can.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

It's still not an excuse to almost mow down a cyclist though is it!

BLUE(UK)

It's still not an excuse to almost mow down a cyclist though is it!

Did I say that it's a fair cop to mow cyclists down? No.
I drive a lot in my job, around 100miles per day in a white van(carpenter) so I do see plenty of shocking driving but the most dangerous of all is those who don't try and keep with the traffic flow, whether too fast or too slow, it is dangerous.
Just yesterday I was a in a queue of a few cars waiting to overtake a cyclist who was wobbling along because he was going so slow and when I got to the front waiting, he was looking back and going slower, I honestly was wondering what the hell he was trying to do and as per usual gave an extra wide berth. Looking in my mirrors I saw he was now going right. In my opinion road users like this are a danger to themselves yet let's blame the driver of the vehicles should an accident arise.
The point of my post? We don't know what the OP rides like, for all we know 'fast' to the OP could be a 30mph overtake.
I'm not hating bikers, I cycle anything from 15-75miles per ride as a leisure cyclist and like to see others enjoying pedalling along but we've all got to consider other road users whichever form of transport. This includes cyclists being considerate to motor vehicle users as well as the other way around.

BLUE(UK)

You beat me to it - someone who drives 100 miles a day should surely have picked up on that one by now.

He could have been stopping, surely you'd know that by now.
The cyclist did no arm signal at all, but then again he was going far too slow to go one handed. Like I said, a danger to themselves.
I suppose most on here will argue til the cows come home that the cyclist is always right, a narrow minded view given they're only reading what is written. What I do know is that I don't seem to have these problems that get reported on here yet not only do I drive and cycle, I also ride motorbikes. Perhaps some people should critique their own riding skills before judging that of others.

Brandane

Legendary Member
@sazzaa and @BLUE(UK) ; welcome to the forum! You will by now have realised that you are beating your head against a brick wall when trying to justify use of a car, or daring to criticise the behaviour of your average cyclist. There are nobbers out there using all forms of transport. I suspect there are even some nobbers on this forum. In fact there exists a clique full of them....... Don't let them grind you down, or you will soon leave the forum, which is generally a friendly and useful place. Use the "ignore member" facility as a last resort.

Edit.... and steer clear of the current affairs/debates ward :whistle:.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Did I say that it's a fair cop to mow cyclists down? No.
I drive a lot in my job, around 100miles per day in a white van(carpenter) so I do see plenty of shocking driving but the most dangerous of all is those who don't try and keep with the traffic flow, whether too fast or too slow, it is dangerous.
Just yesterday I was a in a queue of a few cars waiting to overtake a cyclist who was wobbling along because he was going so slow and when I got to the front waiting, he was looking back and going slower, I honestly was wondering what the hell he was trying to do and as per usual gave an extra wide berth. Looking in my mirrors I saw he was now going right. In my opinion road users like this are a danger to themselves yet let's blame the driver of the vehicles should an accident arise.
The point of my post? We don't know what the OP rides like, for all we know 'fast' to the OP could be a 30mph overtake.
I'm not hating bikers, I cycle anything from 15-75miles per ride as a leisure cyclist and like to see others enjoying pedalling along but we've all got to consider other road users whichever form of transport. This includes cyclists being considerate to motor vehicle users as well as the other way around.

I'm not sure what your point is. There was tons of traffic and a clear bus/cycle lane. The patient transport vehicle decided he wanted to pull out of the traffic and fly down the bus lane at speed. I wasn't going slowly and he was most definitely in the wrong.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

@sazzaa and @BLUE(UK) ; welcome to the forum! You will by now have realised that you are beating your head against a brick wall when trying to justify use of a car, or daring to criticise the behaviour of your average cyclist. There are nobbers out there using all forms of transport. I suspect there are even some nobbers on this forum. In fact there exists a clique full of them....... Don't let them grind you down, or you will soon leave the forum, which is generally a friendly and useful place. Use the "ignore member" facility as a last resort.

Edit.... and steer clear of the current affairs/debates ward :whistle:.

I'm ok with a bit of healthy debating, and am already noticing that cyclists out on the road are generally decent human beings :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm ok with a bit of healthy debating,

Me too; but it has been known for things to become a tad personal :boxing:.

am already noticing that cyclists out on the road are generally decent human beings :smile:

That's because you're in Aberdeen, and fellow cyclists will be sharing your love of Arctic temperatures, high winds off the sea, and traffic bedlam on the A90 and A96. I used to drive an artic every working day to Aberdeen airport and a cyclist was a rare sight. Can't blame them as there must be a better alternative to Anderson Drive and the Haudagain roundabout :cursing:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom