Non-Emergency Ambulances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2632169 said:
Go back and read. I suggested that non-emergency ambulances are as valid a vehicle to be in a bus lane as taxis. You were the one who introduced all the bollocks about women on school runs so, when it comes to throwing the troll word about, the boot is on the other foot I'm afraid.

Afraid you're wrong, you first posted about how SELFISH all car drivers are.

classic33

Leg End Member
With a growing number of people complaing about the noise & light nuisance from emergency vehicles forcing them(emergency vehicles) to have to respond without the use of "blue's & two's" its getting harder to tell when they are responding to an emergency, so I treat them all with the same respect that I'd give one that is using "Blue's & Two's" to let road users know.
It makes things a lot easier and I've been in the back of ambulances more than I want to be.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
As far as I understand, the law with regards to emergency vehicles is this: They have lights and sirens to warn motorists of their impending presence. However, the sirens are not a "Get out of my way" thing. Just like the horn. They are simply to make you aware of their presence.
As a result, you have no legal obligation to move over or stop. You should only do so when it is safe and convenient. It is up to the emergency vehicle to pass you safely. They CANNOT bully you out of the way.
Take your time when these vehicles come behind you, you dont want to panic and be another casualty because it could put the person the emergency vehicle is responding to in danger.

If the vehicle does not have any sirens or lights on, then the vehicle is classed as any other car on the roads. They are subject to red light offenses, illegal overtaking, speeding, and undertaking. Therefore, if you see one breaking the law, you have every right to report it to the police. Unless it is a genuine emergency, the vehicle should not be putting other people in danger or breaking the law.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I wish I'd taken more notice now, I was actually a bit shocked at the time, first time someone's driven past me that close!

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2632206 said:
On that part you have my full sympathy. It is better to move out a bit so that drivers have to negotiate with you before passing.

I had just waited at lights and turned left into the bus lane and had been in the middle of it as I had checked at the lights and noted that there were no buses coming. Only moved when I could hear/feel the presence of a big vehicle right behind me, I think I moved to the left on instinct? As in I probably thought it was the safest thing to do? Should I have stayed put? I'm not sure my bravery is there yet. I do well at cycling in the middle of lanes before turning right etc, but my instinct is still to pull towards the kerb a bit if someone is being obviously impatient right up my arse.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

2632237 said:
Tricky one. I can't really tell you that you are wrong for ducking out of the way because
a) It's your life there, not mine and
b) we have all done the same.
But from the driver's viewpoint that might have looked like you were helping them to pass.

It's reassuring to know folk have done the same. The driver seemed to be driving in a really aggressive manner, like I shouldn't have been in that lane at all. Suppose I should get used to this!

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I had just waited at lights and turned left into the bus lane and had been in the middle of it as I had checked at the lights and noted that there were no buses coming. Only moved when I could hear/feel the presence of a big vehicle right behind me, I think I moved to the left on instinct? As in I probably thought it was the safest thing to do? Should I have stayed put? I'm not sure my bravery is there yet. I do well at cycling in the middle of lanes before turning right etc, but my instinct is still to pull towards the kerb a bit if someone is being obviously impatient right up my arse.
The British cycling website has road positioning tips. Experience of the road plays a part. Instinct to go left is not always the best thing, and in some cases dangerous (think barriers at crossings). Be careful of the door zone, always makes me wince others being too close to parked cars. Avoid going up inside of large vehicles, avoid thinking you must always get to the front and try to flow with the traffic. bike lanes can be both good and bad, keep a thought for the road ahead as sometimes they can put you in or dump you out in bad places. Enjoy your commute! Cycling is safe and fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sazzaa

The British cycling website has road positioning tips. Experience of the road plays a part. Instinct to go left is not always the best thing, and in some cases dangerous (think barriers at crossings). Be careful of the door zone, always makes me wince being too close to parked cars. Avoid going up inside of large vehicles, avoid thinking you must always get to the front and try to flow with the traffic.

I'm learning a lot through reading and experience, I'm aware of the car door area, I keep my cycling in a straight line (as opposed to ducking in and out of parked cars to let traffic past), I know when to take the centre position and not to get caught on the left of a vehicle when turning left. I think my main issues now are roundabouts (they're just a nightmare) and whether to try and filter through a queue of traffic or not. I tend to wait in line, but it's almost missing the point of being on a bike?

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I'm learning a lot through reading and experience, I'm aware of the car door area, I keep my cycling in a straight line (as opposed to ducking in and out of parked cars to let traffic past), I know when to take the centre position and not to get caught on the left of a vehicle when turning left. I think my main issues now are roundabouts (they're just a nightmare) and whether to try and filter through a queue of traffic or not. I tend to wait in line, but it's almost missing the point of being on a bike?
I take roundabouts in primary (centre) at entry, through, and exit as if I were a car. I filter down right, but stay a car or two behind in a central position if possible at lights, or in front of the driver side (they see me and plenty of time to move to secondary). Roundabouts and filtering are on British Cycling website, well worth a look. That or bike ability, check local council.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Saw the same kind of ambulance today (I was driving this time), and it was definitely a British Red Cross one. I think I might fire them an email.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Driving, surely not! :secret: :tongue: :laugh: :cycle:
You can fire off an email, but unless you have specifics (number plate, date and time, road name, rough driver description) I cannot see that they can do much.

You could ask them for details of policies they may have regarding all vunerable road users (as well as cyclists) when doing driver training. That may give you an understanding of what the organisation expects from their drivers, or if they even have a policy, and then take it from there if you have further problems in the future.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Driving, surely not! :secret: :tongue: :laugh: :cycle:
You can fire off an email, but unless you have specifics (number plate, date and time, road name, rough driver description) I cannot see that they can do much.

You could ask them for details of policies they may have regarding all vunerable road users (as well as cyclists) when doing driver training. That may give you an understanding of what the organisation expects from their drivers, or if they even have a policy, and then take it from there if you have further problems in the future.

Haha, some days I have as rest days, and some days I actually need the car for work stuff - don't crucify me for it!

I've emailed them saying I felt it was my duty to let them know, gave the place, time and date and a description of what happened, in the hope that they will maybe have a chat with their drivers about vulnerable road users. All very informal, so will see what happens.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Haha, some days I have as rest days, and some days I actually need the car for work stuff - don't crucify me for it!

Although im quite a hardened bike nut and don't own a car quite a few people on here own and use both.(Of course I have no problem with this although it would be tough if I had.)This was why the road tax thing was slightly hard to understand till it died down recently.

Top Bottom