Non-food shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Am I the only one to be confused by the rules now surrounding non-food shopping?

We are told to go out only for food, medicine, and exercise.

Yet lots of non-food items are available to buy, not least in the supermarkets, although there was an early report of Sainsbury's cordoning off their non-food area.

Leaving that aside, some non-food - and non-essential item - retailers are still open, at least for click and collect.

Or more accurately, retailers who can open due to some of what they sell being deemed essential, but who also sell non-essential items.

Thus it appears that I have official permission to order a non-food item, in this case a plug for my bath, pay for it online, then go to the retailer's premises to collect it.

Yet the item could not be described as essential, and neither could the journey to collect it.

I think I'm inclined to duck this weighty issue for now by deploying a spare shoelace to fix the snapped chain.

But I can see the demand for non-food shopping growing the longer the restrictions remain in place.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Building materials. Keeps diy people occupied.am waiting for a delivery. Also had a skip delivered yesterday. People do need to keep busy at the moment.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Since the lockdown I have bought...

A new controller for my PlayStation.
A new yard brush.
A new hair/beard trimmer.
A pump garden pressure washer thingy.
A new chew toy. For the dog, not me.

All done whilst buying food.

The way I see it, is that life doesn't just suddenly end because of this virus.
People still have interests/hobbies/needs and probably now more than ever.
A lot of folk are stuck at home with nothing to do so if bending the rules a bit to buy a new toy/tool/bdsm costume (@Blue Hills :laugh:) to prevent going nuts from boredom, I say go for it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

In one of the tabloids this morning,a bloke was 'caught' driving 224 miles from Coventry to Salford and back to buy some windows he'd bought on fleabay.
Are they still allowed to sell tabloids?

What was he charged with?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Driving panefully slowly.
Bet the police saw right through his excuse. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
We have been told only to go out shopping to buy "essential supplies", which includes food, medicine, and exercise.

If you go out to buy a paper, you're a plum and deserve a good pistol whipping. If you go out to buy food to enable you to eat, but also pick up a paper then no one cares.

"essential supplies" isn't defined, but is measured against the facts of the situation. If you're house is on fire then nipping out to buy a fire extinguisher is probably OK. Likewise, if your heating packs up then no one will mind if you go and buy a fan heater to keep you going.

Since the kickdown I have bought...

A lot of folk are stuck at home with nothing to do so if bending the rules a bit to buy a new toy/tool/bdsm costume (@Blue Hills :laugh:) to prevent going nuts from boredom, I say go for it.
?? Something i posted and have forgotten?
I have been thinking of getting a wheel building jig and nipple driver, especially as i have a time limited tredz £10 voucher, but been wondering if i can justify. I do have a wheel that needs rerimming and have a spare rim.

Edit while awaiting your reply vantage i will contemplate what you get up to with the yard brush, the pressure washer and the dog chew.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
?? Something i posted and have forgotten?
I have been thinking of getting a wheel building jig and nipple driver, especially as i have a time limited tredz £10 voucher, but been wondering if i can justify. I do have a wheel that needs rerimming and have a spare rim.
Always handy to have. When you get bored you could pull a wheel apart and then rebiuld it.👍

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've been buying stuff for the bike on the interwebs as usual. It comes by delivery. I just set it aside for the recommended 72 hr decontamination period before I open it.
Bike parts are obviously essential items. But not so essential that a 3 day period of patience impacts my allowed exercise. Plan ahead folks with all the purchases - it's the frequency of outings that needs to be reduced significantly :okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Are they still allowed to sell tabloids?

What was he charged with?
It didn't say. They just gave a pic' of the M6 and said what i've repeated below.
1585653578541.png

North West Motorway Police said a driver had been caught making a 224-mile round trip from Coventry to Salford, Greater Manchester, to buy £15 windows on eBay (Pictured: The M6

Last edited:
Top Bottom