Non members continuing to ride with club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phillip scott

Interested to know what other clubs do, in my cycling club there is a rider who consistently rides with us but will not become a member, the fee is only £15 a year but they refuse to pay. They engage with other members and was actually once a member but will no longer renew their membership. Despite encouragement they just will not pay. How do other clubs if experiencing similar issues deal with this.

screenman

Legendary Member
It would be no problem with me.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's a BC registered club they're covered under the club's insurance for up to 3 rides. After that they should be a member, pay the subscription and be insured.

Basically the ride organiser should tell them to pay their subs or 'push off'.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If people who regularly ride in the group feel uncomfortable in telling him to bugger off or pay up then a club official who does not ride in the group could be utilised.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Threaten them with weekly visits by @Drago demanding their fees or dousing in chemical herbicide which will render them sterile.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it's public roads, you can't stop them. If it's formation riding, refuse to include them in the formation. Otherwise, nothing to do.

My usual group handles it by being donation-funded not subscription-funded, but that's more because it's an area of great inequality and any subscription would deter some while being trivial to others.

OP
OP
P

phillip scott

if I am honest I do not particularly mind it's just that some other members mentioned this and I was curious to know if others have this issue.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The treasurer needs to drop them a line to tell them to pay up or push off. This needs to be passed on to the ride organisers.

Its a club. If everyone else pays their fees. Why should he get away with it.?

The person might not be able to justify the cost of a membership. £15 a year is "nothing" to most people but when you're hard up all the little "nothings" add up and it becomes difficult to justify extra expense.

Ask them why they can't/won't pay - if they refuse to give an answer, as said above, get someone not involved with the club rides to contact them.

Top Bottom