Non members continuing to ride with club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The person might not be able to justify the cost of a membership. £15 a year is "nothing" to most people but when you're hard up all the little "nothings" add up and it becomes difficult to justify extra expense.

Ask them why they can't/won't pay - if they refuse to give an answer, as said above, get someone not involved with the club rides to contact them.
If you cant justify the cost or can't afford to pay, you just don't turn up. Id like to go to the cinema more often. I can't justify the cost or afford it. Do you think they should let me in for free?

Im suprised this guy keeps turning up if everyone is paying. He must have no conscience.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We faced this issue two years ago. The basic rule in my club, I'm the secretary, is anyone who is not and has not previously been a member can ride with us five times before he/she must join. It's £20.

The club insurance covers ride leaders/organisers and club officials for incidents that might arise at or during a club event which includes rides. It doesn't cover club members.

It is a club, events, rides etc. are organised for the benefit of members and personally I don't see why non-members should benefit from this.

We had a non-payer who was chased by the Membership Secretary for nine months but refused to pay. Eventually he sent a cheque which bounced - he was riding a new bike at the time. He received an email telling him he was no longer a member, not to attend rides and was removed from the Facebook group. He rejoined 12 months later - odd.

For those who genuinely have a problem we have a policy of the committee reviewing each case on its' own merits. Fortunately it has never been necessary to do this.

screenman

Legendary Member
Clubs means rules. Rules mean some will feel the need to be the guardian of the rules.
Just not a fan in the Groucho Marx way.
Much prefer a collective informal understanding.
I know of a club that after the rides you must wear their Jersey.

Wow! I have been a member of different cycling clubs
for about 50 years and have never come across things like you mention, must have been lucky. Maybe you just picked the wrong one.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What do you get for the money? There must be something more than the privilege of riding on public roads. Presumably there are some other benefits which he doesn't get to enjoy.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wow! I have been a member of different cycling clubs
for about 50 years and have never come across things like you mention, must have been lucky. Maybe you just picked the wrong one.

I'd have to agree with this. I've been in three clubs over the last 26 years. I've never encountered the issues others seem to experience though I accept these do occur but that is life, cycling club or not.

My wife regularly comes home from tennis and moans no one else turned up early to clean the courts before a match.

I don't doubt that this guy is chancing his luck. He already knows all the people in the club and is presumably friends with at least some of them, so maybe some have reassured him that it's fine?

The root of the problem isn't that he's not paying (unless he causes a crash his presence comes at zero tangible expense to the club), it's that having a pariah in the midst will cause conflict and sow discontent within the club because for some it's a non-issue and for others the injustice of someone getting 28p worth of company a week will gnaw at them. /s

I go to a local track for intervals and occasionally informal, undeclared pursuit races against anyone else who shows up but sometimes there's a paid coaching session on. It's a public space and like your wayward fellow I am well within my right to continue riding it but social pressure makes it feel iffy.

If you cant justify the cost or can't afford to pay, you just don't turn up. Id like to go to the cinema more often. I can't justify the cost or afford it. Do you think they should let me in for free?

Im suprised this guy keeps turning up if everyone is paying. He must have no conscience.
I tend to have a more charitable view than most when it comes to situations like this. As I said, he's clearly chancing his luck, but your analogy doesn't work.
The cinema is private property and the film you go see is privately produced. As the roads are open and he can ride anywhere he likes, a better analogy would be a pirate downloading the film.

The existence of movie piracy doesn't negate the ownership rights of the studio nor the rights for the cinema to screen it nor the rights of the cinemagoer to see it on a big screen. Him riding alongside his former clubmates doesn't negate club membership, although it is socially awkward and something needs to be done or it will damage the club.

A friendly letter asking him to explain his presence at events that are members only,
asking him what his intentions are and why he is not forthcoming with his
membership fee, ask if there are any mitigating circumstances regarding
his club fees not being paid.
This at least will give the person a chance to explain their situation.
And the club a chance to outline the clubs policy regarding
non members turning up for club outings.

OP
OP
P

phillip scott

The person in question can afford this that's certainly not an issue for them. For the price of membership, well this helps us organise our club 10 weekly Time trial, goes towards the club Xmas night, hiring venue, food etc. Allows us to buy our kit in bulk, in order that it's a cheaper rate for members (they have a kit too)

I have actually said it's a difficult one as you cannot stop someone from riding on a public road and to be honest I would not wish to, I just find it all a bit odd really.

PK99

Legendary Member
What do you get for the money? There must be something more than the privilege of riding on public roads. Presumably there are some other benefits which he doesn't get to enjoy.

Someone to organize rides
Someone to lead rides
A committee to run the club.
Someone to order and hold stock of Club Kit
Someone to represent the club if JoPublic has issues.
Support if you have mechanical problems on a group ride.
etc

ie all the things that make the difference between random people sharing the road and a club

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The person in question can afford this that's certainly not an issue for them. For the price of membership, well this helps us organise our club 10 weekly Time trial, goes towards the club Xmas night, hiring venue, food etc. Allows us to buy our kit in bulk, in order that it's a cheaper rate for members (they have a kit too)

I have actually said it's a difficult one as you cannot stop someone from riding on a public road and to be honest I would not wish to, I just find it all a bit odd really.
You may not be able to stop him riding on public roads but you can stop him from riding with your group.

We've had similar with the Friday Night Rides. People turning up without paying their subs or registering. I explained it was club policy not to allow people who haven't paid their dues that they couldn't ride within the group.
They can either hang back on their own or leave.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think there are some unreasonably reasonable people in here.

You pay subs to our local village bike club. For the subs the rides are organised. Someone usually provide coffee and cake or the occasional BBQ. If you don't pay the subs, just because you dont want to. After a couple of polite hints you would be told you are not welcome.

I don't understand the mentality that that you expect something for nothing when everyone pays for it.

Top Bottom