Non members continuing to ride with club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Someone to organize rides
Someone to lead rides
A committee to run the club.
Someone to order and hold stock of Club Kit
Someone to represent the club if JoPublic has issues.
Support if you have mechanical problems on a group ride.
etc

ie all the things that make the difference between random people sharing the road and a club
+
To give something back to the sport

The person in question can afford this that's certainly not an issue for them. For the price of membership, well this helps us organise our club 10 weekly Time trial, goes towards the club Xmas night, hiring venue, food etc. Allows us to buy our kit in bulk, in order that it's a cheaper rate for members (they have a kit too)

I have actually said it's a difficult one as you cannot stop someone from riding on a public road and to be honest I would not wish to, I just find it all a bit odd really.
Certainly odd, only way to clear it up is ask the person what his reason for not paying is,
personally if I determined the man to be of good character and suspected it was just down to funds
I would pay behind the scenes, and send him his membership as a gift.

Of course I understand the money is needed by the club, costs need to be paid
or else there would very soon be no club.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Any chance he could be an honorary life member of the club? My old club had one or two members of that description simply because they had contributed so much to the club and been paid members for so long.
If not, a quiet word or polite letter stating that whilst the club cannot legally stop him from riding on the public roads with you, to do so within the club itself whilst other members are paying for it is a little rude/insulting.

I'd have a quiet word with him and give him an ultimatum - either he pays up or if he refuses, mention that the next ride he turns up for, you'll be making a public announcement. This would highlight the fact that he keeps on turning up on rides but is refusing to pay his membership, and so isn't covered by the club insurance which could cause problems for the other members if he's involved in an accident.

That way, it makes it clear he'll be publicly embarrassed, plus the other members will also be a bit annoyed.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
There are a few in our club that haven't renewed their membership. ... it doesn't bother me nor the other guys.... but they don't make a secret of that.... think of it, if they didn't volunteer the information I have no way of knowing who is a paying member and who is not.

Sharky

Guru
It's travel, not a sport!
True, but if you are gate crashing a club run, then more likely sport.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You may not be able to stop him riding on public roads but you can stop him from riding with your group.

We've had similar with the Friday Night Rides. People turning up without paying their subs or registering. I explained it was club policy not to allow people who haven't paid their dues that they couldn't ride within the group.
They can either hang back on their own or leave.
If they refused to hang back, how could you stop them riding with the group? Excluding assault or obstruction or other illegality.

If they refused to hang back, how could you stop them riding with the group? Excluding assault or obstruction or other illegality.
A coordinated group could drop him with repeated surges but all that'd do is make him stronger...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Calthrops.

(Sorry, I've been up early with the baby watching a thing about ninjas. I in no way condone the use of calthrops against cyclists, club members or otherwise.)

Reactions: mjr

Venod

Eh up
If its the rules, he should join, maybe he has a lot of friends in the club but doesn't like the politics and rules involved, we have solved this round here, the club I was in got a bit officious in mine and a lot of other riders opinions, so there are now local rides organised through Facebook or Strava which are supported by members from several clubs and people who for one reason or another don't want to join one, they are a lot more pleasant without all the red tape and a lot more colourfull.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom