Non members continuing to ride with club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd have a quiet word with him and give him an ultimatum - either he pays up or if he refuses, mention that the next ride he turns up for, you'll be making a public announcement. This would highlight the fact that he keeps on turning up on rides but is refusing to pay his membership, and so isn't covered by the club insurance which could cause problems for the other members if he's involved in an accident.
Club insurance normally covers only the leaders and only if they follow the provider's handbook which I've only ever seen one do. Riders have to get their own liability insurance, whether household, bike or through club affiliation membership of HSBC UK BC or Cuk. Again, I've only seen one club (Fnrttc) even try to check that, asdiscussed in past threads.

OP
OP
P

phillip scott

Well I asked the person in question & it turned out that it was a bit of a rant at the establishment as they were not happy regarding the running of the club. I suggested they raise the concerns at the club meeting and even join the committee as previously asked but again they declined. I actually feel they are being a little unfair but everyone views things differently I guess.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well I asked the person in question & it turned out that it was a bit of a rant at the establishment as they were not happy regarding the running of the club. I suggested they raise the concerns at the club meeting and even join the committee as previously asked but again they declined. I actually feel they are being a little unfair but everyone views things differently I guess.

OK then. So if they don't like the club AND won't help turn it around my view would be they can shove off and ride on their own.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
OK then. So if they don't like the club AND won't help turn it around my view would be they can shove off and ride on their own.
That's exactly what would have happened with the club I was in. If he's that bothered about how the club is run he should go and join another club - or start his own.

screenman

Legendary Member
One of the most helpful guys at our club events did not belong to it, for over 50 years he helped out and joined in on most rides, his wife was a member but he was a member of another local club.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Again the simple question: shoving them off would be assault so how exactly are you gonna make them ride on their own?

'telling them to shove off' isn't actually physical contact.

There's ways of being appropriate/not unpleasant and effective verbally.

screenman

Legendary Member
A club ride is a bunch of cyclist going for a ride I just cannot see the reason to exclude somebody. Maybe it is just my old fashioned way of thinking, I sure can remember non member cyclist on club runs back in the sixties.

Venod

Eh up
A club ride is a bunch of cyclist going for a ride I just cannot see the reason to exclude somebody. Maybe it is just my old fashioned way of thinking, I sure can remember non member cyclist on club runs back in the sixties.

I agree about club rides in the past, you would get a mix of riders not all club members, where it changed I think is the insurance requirements and abiding by BCF rules, I am relating this to my last club who were very officious about this, spoiling a good club IMO.
I understand the concerns of the ride organises regarding this but I find it a bit draconian and not what I want my cycling to be about.

Last edited:

straas

Matt
Don't think I'd be overly bothered - but if everyone took the same attitude the club wouldn't function, so it seems quite selfish really.

Most clubs let you ride a few times before joining, if you actively don't want to pay after that, then set up your own club or ride solo.

It'd be like setting up a street party, and one house refusing to do anything to contribute, but then attending, eating the shared food and drink, then going home without helping to clear up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't think I'd be overly bothered - but if everyone took the same attitude the club wouldn't function, so it seems quite selfish really.

Most clubs let you ride a few times before joining, if you actively don't want to pay after that, then set up your own club or ride solo.
Again, how exactly are you going to make anyone ride solo?

It'd be like setting up a street party, and one house refusing to do anything to contribute, but then attending, eating the shared food and drink, then going home without helping to clear up.
Ironically, that street party case would be an example of the so-called "free-rider problem".

However, a cycling club is typically also not paying extra towards the shared food and drink - the public highways - but only stuff that benefits the club members - such as ride leader insurance. If riding on roads that also have non-member riders on them is against the terms of ride leader insurance, well... that would be pretty bizarre and limiting, eh?

Top Bottom