Non members continuing to ride with club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sh*t happens.

That's what insurance is for. Take it or leave it.

Insurance does not cover every situation.

swansonj

Guru
As I said, take it or leave it.
Indeed, and as I've said upthread, I'm not in the business of criticising anyone / any club who decides that the peace of mind is worth paying the premium.

But the PPI saga pretty conclusively demonstrates that the mere fact that the insurance industry offers a product and someone suggests it might be a good idea (let alone essential) to get it, does NOT mean that we should just unquestioningly buy into that. Hence my question about what the risk actually is.

DRM

Guru
So I understand the bit about insurance, after all in this day & age you have to cover your back, how would a club get on with someone asking to tag on for a while, during a ride, as I ended up doing last Sunday as I was keeping pace with them, the answer was yes no problem, but they didn’t know if I’m covered or not, wether or not I’ve a clue what I’m doing, which as a BC member I am covered, but any clot could tag along, cause an accident then where would they stand, just wondering mind you.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
So I understand the bit about insurance, after all in this day & age you have to cover your back, how would a club get on with someone asking to tag on for a while, during a ride, as I ended up doing last Sunday as I was keeping pace with them, the answer was yes no problem, but they didn’t know if I’m covered or not, wether or not I’ve a clue what I’m doing, which as a BC member I am covered, but any clot could tag along, cause an accident then where would they stand, just wondering mind you.

Technically under BC they're covered as a club's insurance covers a guest for up to 5 rides. The issue is when a rider is continually joining rather than as a one-off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Technically under BC they're covered as a club's insurance covers a guest for up to 5 rides. The issue is when a rider is continually joining rather than as a one-off.
Which is probably part of why ride leader insurance I've seen says you have to make riders sign in. Almost no clubs do that, so could not prove that the "guest" wasn't a regular rider, so the insurance could duck it for that reason, as well as for the leader apparently not following the terms and requiring signing in.

DRM

Guru
That is what I suspected, but as mjr wrote,
Which is probably part of why ride leader insurance I've seen says you have to make riders sign in. Almost no clubs do that, so could not prove that the "guest" wasn't a regular rider, so the insurance could duck it for that reason, as well as for the leader apparently not following the terms and requiring signing in.
It’s a bit of a grey area, however I do think it’s damn cheek to turn up every week & join in the full distance when you haven’t paid the subs, it’s not something I would be comfortable doing.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On a further note i raised to the club founder last week that we need to concentrate on helping people to ride in groups more, his wife has been bought down by a new rider, i had one get his drops under my elbow last week and another experienced rider was out with his son and had a touch of wheels and broke his collarbone.
Of course nothing can prevent an accident but being better prepared all helps.

Big T

Guru
Best practice guidelines from BC for led club rides:

Club/Group Ride/Training Session – on the public highway Best practice is.....
􏰀Have a predetermined start time and communicate the route to all participants.
􏰀All participants should comply with the Highway Code.
􏰀All adult participants are responsible for their own well-being during the ride and should be prepared for situations such as adverse weather conditions, mechanical problems and flat tyres.
􏰀Have emergency procedures and communicate them to all participants. This should include emergency procedures for incidents that riders may experience during a ride (eg punctures, mechanical problems, changes in environmental conditions, accidents involving one or more members of the group).
􏰀Have procedures in place to ensure that individual riders are not left on their own during the session.
􏰀All riders should be aged 12 years or older, and be competent at a level equivalent to the Level 2 Cycle Training Standards.
􏰀There is a greater duty of care for riders under the age of 18 years. Therefore, if there are riders aged 12-18 years in the group, somebody will need to take responsibility for these riders and ensure they are not left on their own during the session.
􏰀Have a signed parental consent form for all riders under the age of 18 years.
􏰀All riders should be encouraged to take part in activities that are within their capabilities.
􏰀All riders must wear a helmet.

You don’t have to do risk assessments for rides held on the public highways. It would not be practical or reasonable to do this, as you would have to pre-ride or drive the whole route of the ride on the day of the ride itself, noting any hazards. Even then, a hazard could crop up between the pre-ride and the actual ride itself. Nor do you have to “sign in” for rides on the road, that is only for coaching sessions in an enclosed off-road environment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom