Non techie cycling food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
"anything from Gregg's"..... my god, I think I'm in love :laugh:

:smooch::biggrin:

Nebulous

Guru
I've been interested in what people eat on an audax. It tends to be a lot, as they burn a lot of calories. I'm convinced there are quite a few of us who manage to eat more than we burn though.

It starts off sweet for many people, chocolate, fizzy drinks, even gels and cereal bars. Very quickly - second or third meal break people move to savoury. Often meal deals, sandwich, juice and crisps, which gives a balance and replaces salt. Quite a few people on the flavoured milk. £1 bottles of chocolate or strawberry. A lot of coffee for the caffeine.

I had always imagined my stomach was bombproof and was surprised to find it playing up on long rides. Gastric distress they call it and it is the biggest cause of people quitting endurance events. It will rebel at a lot of things, but scrambled eggs on toast always seem to go down well. Everyone needs to experiment and find their own foodstuff that works for them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Bananas and for long rides: cold porridge in the drinks bottle.

Get out of here. Why not have hot porridge in a flask if you’re going to carry it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Unless you had a bottle that rolled up like a toothpaste tube, or maybe used a long handled spoon, I imagine it would be quite difficult to extract more than maybe half of a bottleful of cold porridge.

Perhaps if it was very runny - a sort of oat based drink - it would be easier.

But I must admit I've never tried it.

Back in the day on the 24h Time Trials, the organisers would pass up water to riders, and cones of rice pudding.
(I detest the stuff, but based on visits to Audax controls I am in a minority.)

I don't know for sure why/when they stopped doing this, but the rise of "sports nutrition science" and the increasing percentage of riders wtih their own support crews +vans probably helped.

Top Bottom