Nonmatching rims

Looks stupid?

• yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone.

I am building a set of wheels. I am big and heavy and like to carry a lot of luggage.

I am going to build wheels with an Andra rim 36 spoles at the back, and a 32 spoke Sputnik front. The back wheel is carrying far more weight.

Is that going to look stupid? Is it unnecessary? I'm doing it whatever you say as the rims have been in my shed for years, I'm just interested what your opinions are.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds sensible to me and who will actually know except you and why would anyone else care?
I’ve never counted my own spokes let alone anyone else’s. Plenty of bikes / wheel sets come with fewer spokes on the front than the rear

Hello everyone.

I am building a set of wheels. I am big and heavy and like to carry a lot of luggage.

I am going to build wheels with an Andra rim 36 spoles at the back, and a 32 spoke Sputnik front. The back wheel is carrying far more weight.

Is that going to look stupid? Is it unnecessary? I'm doing it whatever you say as the rims have been in my shed for years, I'm just interested what your opinions are.

Even matching wheelsets usually have more spokes in the back wheel.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Even matching wheelsets usually have more spokes in the back wheel.

indeed and often different lacing patterns too, but that's not really the point in question or its superfluous info thrown in.

only the OP knows whether the two rims look similar enough to get away with it.

Personally I wouldn't.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Looks stupid ! Can't have mismatched wheels.

My rear wheel has something on the right hand side called a cassette, the front doesn’t. Should I replace the rear wheel with a front one so they match? 🤔

Sharky

Guru
Used to be a standard to have 32 front and 40 rear. Then it morfed into 36 front and rear. Nowadays, anything goes. I even have one front wheel with only 3 spokes!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Don’t most bikes have more spokes at the back, I know mine do.
It will look fine👍

Edit - if the rims are branded different and the same colour then if it bothered me I’d remove all stickers.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I think the spokes comment is not the question - many bikes have more in the back than the front. It's the rims I believe that are in question. My answer - no, it will not look "stupid" although it may trigger some people's aesthetic sensibilities. But if it works for you, who cares? I'll admit, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't give two hoots about anybody who did.

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't see how it matters if they are both black or both silver. If they are different, depending on the bike, I might be less keen (if it's an old hack bike, I wouldn't care, not that I have any of those :laugh: )

Top Bottom