Nonmatching rims

Looks stupid?

• yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No mismatched rims on my bike thank you😄

Just a mismatched post of yours then 😂

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
For me, the aesthetics are more or less irrelevant: most time trials attract plenty of bikes with wildly different-looking back and front wheels.
If the spoking is the issue then you are in fine company. In the past, UK standard practice was 32 front, 40 rear. Mainland Europe practice was 36 front, 36 rear. I have never had any trouble with 32–36 and, in fact, have had most trouble with 40-spoked rears. Perhaps the rims I used were weaker for having 40 rather than 36 or 32 holes. You should be fine.

I hear some people are so anal they even make sure the makers name on the tyres is in exactly the correct position (haven't a Scooby which position that is) wrt the valve.

Mismatched spoke numbers is perfectly acceptable, in some cases recommended, I believe.

My Whyte 901 has completely different rims since I fitted a bolt through fork but I am sure no one will notice...they are both black after all.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I was in the annexe to the “nation’s junk yard“ a while ago and in passing noticed a bike from the 1920s. Both of its rims were wooden, both from the same brand, but the rear was noticeably wider than the front.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was in the annexe to the “nation’s junk yard“ a while ago and in passing noticed a bike from the 1920s. Both of its rims were wooden, both from the same brand, but the rear was noticeably wider than the front.

were they cut from the same tree though and did the grain patterns match?:okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
got a black snyper rim on the front and a silver rim on the back (emergency replacement). I keep meaning to get a new pair of wheels built so they match again, but in all honesty, i don't notice and they've been mismatched for about 8 years now

Top Bottom