Nonmatching rims

Looks stupid?

• yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have Andra 30 rims on both front and rear, I have Sputnik on another bike, they are very strong rims, that's what really matters. :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is that going to look stupid? Is it unnecessary? I'm doing it whatever you say as the rims have been in my shed for years, I'm just interested what your opinions are.
Bikes are modular. When I need to replace a part, I could get something that matches, or I can instead buy the very best-quality replacement within my budget. Aesthetics are not completely disregarded, but functionality is more important.

Surprisingly my rims actually match, but hubs don't; the spokes are different colours front & back. The drive-train features Ultegra BB, 105 chainset, and three levels of Campagnolo components for the mechs & shifters. Oh, KMC chain and Ribble brakes.

Some may regard this with horror but its worked beautifully as a utility bike, a year-round commuter, and recently on Ride London at an average speed just shy of 19mph. I see no problem.

presta

Guru
I could get something that matches, or I can instead buy the very best-quality replacement within my budget.
My rear rim failed first, and I replaced it with a better one, so I had dissimilar rims until the front one was replaced. They were both the same colour though, so it wasn't conspicuous. I did take a pride in aligning all the logos when I built the wheels though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Incidentally, why do we say wheelset, or a set of wheels? Surely "pair" would be more appropriate.

I know that a set can have two (or one, or even zero) members but "pair" just seems better.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
I did take a pride in aligning all the logos when I built the wheels though.
Oh, I'm not an animal!

Labels on tyre, rim and hub lining up show that the builder took care when assembling. That's a way of spotting a good bike locked up at a cycle rack amongst lots of others. ^_^

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Oh, and 32 spokes front 36 rear is good engineering. With the strength of some modern rim/wheel combinations 32 spokes is plenty, but having the same number front and rear implies that the front wheel is stronger than it needs to be or the rear wheel is weaker.

Back in the nineties (93ish?) I remember there was a year when all bikes went from 36 spokes to 32. Maybe I am not remembering properly but I seem to remember there was a lot of wheel truing that year!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've often had different rims front and rear. The wheels have entirely different stresses through them so a lighter rim on the front makes sense.

I don't buy into groupsets either, apart from matching the shifter to the rear mech and cassette. Front mechs and brakes I buy whatever I think is best value, or more often what I already have lying around.

PK99

Legendary Member
Never mind spoke count, in Whistler last week, there were loads of mtbs with different SIZE wheels front and back. 29(?) Front 26(?) Back

Top Bottom