Noob bike question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supersadie

I wanted to start cycling, having done about ten miles on a hired bike last Easter. I bought an ultracheap second hand ATB bike on Ebay. It's a Universal brand - very bog standard. Trouble is, apart from the chronic seat which leaves me with 24 hours tailbone ache, the thing is really hard to cycle. I mean, I can only really do a mile or so and that's it. Such hardwork on the legs. It has gripshift gears which all feel just about the same. When I'm going downhill, I can't make it go any faster by pedaling - nothing engages - my pedals just go round and round without making anything happen. The left low to high gear shift is really hard to twist. The right one doesn't feel like it has a positive 1-5 gauge. Can I do anything to improve it or is it good money after bad?
Thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
Have someone lift the bike by the saddle with one hand and turn the pedals with the other.
You operate the gripshift & watch the chain.
Left gripshift (L-H) should move chain between the cogs next to the pedals.
Right one (1-5) should move the chain between the cogs on the wheel.

If the gears aren't moving the chain - then that's why you don't feel any difference.

It shouldn't be hard work to cover a mile on even the worst BSO.
My guess is that some bearings somewhere - wheel hubs, or bottom bracket are in dire need of lubrication - possibly chain as well.

You can probably improve the situation at relatively low cost - if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and have some mechanical understanding.
Bicycletutor is a good website to start with. But even then given that it's a cheapie to start with - it may not be worth the time & effort.

MajorMantra

Welcome to CC! :ohmy:

Is your saddle at the right height? At the bottom of the pedal stroke your leg should only have a slight bend in it. Any more and it's hell on your knees, especially uphill.

Also, does the bike have front or full suspension? A lot of cheap bikes do and it wastes a lot of your energy as you pedal. If there are any suspension adjustments you want them as stiff as possible to minimise bouncing. Also, assuming it has knobbly tyres, you could switch to some slicks which will improve your speed on the road.

Do you have a picture of the bike actually? I don't want to put you off but some really cheap bikes really aren't worth spending money on. If it's not working well it may be best to repair it as much as possible yourself (which will teach you about bikes) whilst you look for something more suitable.

Matthew

OP
OP
S

supersadie

Thank you both. My saddle is at the right height but doesn't half crush my undercarriage. May be easy to solve. There is no suspension and it has knobbly tyres.

I re-read my message and realised I maybe could have added something...

You know how if you're on a flat surface and you pedal a bit then stop, the bike just keeps going for a while. Well this doesn't. There's nothing impeding the wheels, it just doesn't seem to have any momentum.

I will check the gear operation as you suggested. Odd thing is, the bike didn't look like it had really been used. Not a mark on the saddle, pedals or paintwork - the QC stickers still on. No wear on the rubber on the handle bars.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

supersadie

Yep. Nothing's impeding the wheels.

That's the odd thing. Even my son (14) says it's hard work cycling the mile into town on it, compared with his Halfords MTB.

MajorMantra

supersadie said:
Yep. Nothing's impeding the wheels.

That's the odd thing. Even my son (14) says it's hard work cycling the mile into town on it, compared with his Halfords MTB.

What about tyre pressure? Are your tyres pumped up sufficiently? If you haven't got a track pump with a gauge that should be the first thing you buy. You can get a decent one for £10-15. (big Tescos have them)

Matthew

OP
OP
S

supersadie

They're rock hard. I use a pump that connects to the car cigarette lighter. I have just checked the gears and although you have to twist the left quite hard, both move correctly. I am taking the lubrication option and have sprayed some lube on everthing that moves ('cept the brake pads!).

Maybe it's just a damn heavy bike!

Top Bottom