Tubeless puncture noob question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
Noob question about tubeless tyres.

I had a puncture earlier today (after hearing some of the sealant spraying out of the tyre), but the sealant stopped the type completely deflating. Since getting home, I've inflated it back to 80psi and it's holding so far.

If it holds, do I simply leave it, or should I repair it anyway? Just concerned the tyre is now compromised.

13 rider

Guru
If the tyre hold pressure it must have been a small hole and everything is fine just to carry on riding . How much sealant was sprayed out this may need topping up. If the hole is a worry to you you can patch the inside of the tyre with either a designated tubeless patch or you can use a normal inner tube patch but this requires you to completely remove the tyre
If you had a small puntuce ie a thorn on a tubed tyre you wouldn't repair the tyre just the tube

Venod

Eh up
If it seals I leave it, provided there is no visible damage, I had a puncture recently that completely deflated and sprayed out a lot of fluid, I was convinced it would be a large hole but it wasn't, I inflated it with some co2 and it stayed up. I just let the co2 out when I got home put some air in and topped up the sealant, its still up and being ridden.
80psi seems high what size tyres ?

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
If it seals I leave it, provided there is no visible damage, I had a puncture recently that completely deflated and sprayed out a lot of fluid, I was convinced it would be a large hole but it wasn't, I inflated it with some co2 and it stayed up. I just let the co2 out when I got home put some air in and topped up the sealant, its still up and being ridden.
80psi seems high what size tyres ?

Thanks!! I'm running 26mm Pirelli P Zero Race tyres and I'm 76kg.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
If the tyre hold pressure it must have been a small hole and everything is fine just to carry on riding . How much sealant was sprayed out this may need topping up. If the hole is a worry to you you can patch the inside of the tyre with either a designated tubeless patch or you can use a normal inner tube patch but this requires you to completely remove the tyre
If you had a small puntuce ie a thorn on a tubed tyre you wouldn't repair the tyre just the tube

Thanks! I doubt that much sealant sprayed out but it's a good shout topping it up.

boydj

Legendary Member
You can get a tubeless puncture kit that lets you insert a plug into the hole - similar to the way car tyres are repaired - if you are worried about the sealant holding. I'd give it a couple of short rides before doing anything other than topping up the sealant.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
I have an app, which for your weight and assuming 10kg bike suggests 68 psi front, 72 psi rear, might give a bit more comfort.

I run 28mm 60psi rear and 58 psi front, 69kg

Interesting. I'm just going by the recommended pressure according to Pirelli. See attached.

Attachments

• 2020-pirelli-recommended-pressures.jpg
    2020-pirelli-recommended-pressures.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 12

T4tomo

Legendary Member
26mm width & 80psi is on the cusp of what is practical to run tubeless. you ideally want a wider tyre (assuming it will fit) so you can run at a lower pressure.

Ajax Bay

Guru
26mm width & 80psi is on the cusp of what is practical to run tubeless. you ideally want a wider tyre (assuming it will fit) so you can run at a lower pressure.
I assure you this is not the "practical" limit/cusp. Many pros are running 25s tubeless at these pressures, or higher.
As far as the OP's pressure is concerned (running 26mm Pirelli P Zero Race tyres and 76kg), the Pirelli chart suggests 93psi. This does seem real high for tubeless (seeing the risk of snake bites is nil).
In addition the load on the front wheel is max 45% of the total load (rider plus bike) so (rule of thumb) 10psi difference rear/front.
Wilier GTR Gran Turismo (2015)? Suspect a tyre wider than 26mm will be tight.

Alex321

Veteran
I assure you this is not the "practical" limit/cusp. Many pros are running 25s tubeless at these pressures, or higher.
For most of us, it is.

The pros aren't worried about longevity or about repairing holes that are too big for self sealing.

I've found that at 28c and 80 psi, it is almost impossible to get a plug to hold, which makes them borderline on practicality.

That calculator above suggests I should be running at 63 front, 68 rear for tubeless, but the Fusion 5 tyres I was using have a minimum pressure of 74psi. Even for tubed tyres it suggests 71/76, which seems low to me. (I'm 89Kg, my bike is 9.4Kg)

Top Bottom