Noob question about rear hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Hi guys,
Stupid question but I got this hub and it has threads on both side. I assume it's a flip flop hub, but the threads seem to be very wide and when I look at modern ones the threads seem quite tight. I have taken a photo, but it's a bit dark. If it's not a flip flop then I'm stuck on what might thread on that side. It's marked as a sturmey hub.

Thanks for any help.
image.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
not a flip flop as i know , but unsure of real intention or purpose

compo

Veteran
The reason I thought it may be just decorative is the coarseness of the thread. I would have thought it too coarse to take a sprocket, as you have seen for yourself when comparing hubs, so I cannot think what else you would mount on the non drive side. Do the threads repeat on the inside of the hub. Perhaps it is a clever way to keep the grease on the bearings!

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
It's so good to have helpful people. As a real late comer to the bicycle scene I feel I missed out on so much in my youth.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
It's purely decorative. Not a thread. Was quite common to find these steel hubs on utility bikes in the 60's/70's Confusing if not seen before. Guess I'm just old:blush: Have seen them on the old ubiquitous Hercules 'Balmoral' model amongst others.

Top Bottom