Noodles and ferrules/brake outer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

When fitting a new brake cable and outer - where the outer meets the V brake noodle does it need a ferrule on the end - or does the noodle 'socket' act as a ferrule?

Don't really want to copy the existing as it looks ratty and don't trust it as a guide really.

If it needs ferrules at that point then I need to go buy some extra - my cable kit came with only four for front and back - but the rear cable has two outer parts so needing four of it's own.

Also - should the ferrules be crimped - or will they stay in place once all is put together?

BTW it's a Shimano MTB brake cable kit if that helps.

Going to have to go shopping anyway as in the fading light managed to cut my cable short - forgetting I'd left it running through the outer when I chopped the outer to length, and the cable with it - serves me right for rushing to finish the job.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You don't need a ferrule. The ferrule just protects the end of the outer and helps protect the inner from rubbing against any sharp edges of the outer. Just make sure the outer doesn't have any sharp edges. The Tektro set up on my hybrid doesn't allow for a separate ferrule, and the noodle end serves to locate the cable.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks for that

Did the job this morning - all seems to be working a lot better and holding together.

Changed the noodles aswell - glad I did - pleny of rust in the old ones which must have been causing the sloppy brake return, also greased the nipples which were covered in dirt.

Top Bottom