Norfolk.........holiday ideas wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
At this stage we are trying to choose a destination and have never really "done" Norfolk. I stayed overnight twice while working so we don't "know it". We did think about it last year but ended up in Cornwall.

We are thinking of a week cruising part of the Broads followed by a week in a cottage (or similar).I will probably take the bike although Mrs S will only cycle on traffic free paths etc.
Our likes are..........
walking in beautiful countryside and coastal paths.
Bird watching (not serious twitchers but do enjoy it)
I enjoy cycling 20-40 milers
Site seeing
Pretty much the normal things all old farts do :smile:
So....................
a) if cruising for a week which section is best/nicest.
b) for a cottage--again, which area is best.
Thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wells next the Sea for the cottage, it will be expensive but it's worth every penny. A trip on the Wells to Walsingham railway is a great day out :becool:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...co.uk/&usg=AFQjCNEPyo9YLG6OXPHPlppmjquSjNXQkg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
We have stayed a couple of times in a rather nice flat. I don't know whether you have to entertain kids at all but downstairs is a good sized swimming pool. The deal is you get an hour morning and evening exclusive use. To give you an idea of location, it is near to Crommer.

MarkF

Guru
We had a boat for a week on the broads (never again, we had cabin fever after one day) then a place on the Bush Estate, Eccles-on-Sea, a few years ago, now that is a strange place, lot of oddballs live there in assorted "housing", bungalows, pre-fabs, huts, caravans etc One road in and out, no street lights, no mobile signal (then), set well below the sea walls, deer roaming about, blokes with guns roaming about.....we all liked it a lot and enjoyed great walks North and South. See it whilst it's still there. :okay:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameron_self/sets/72157626927558630/

3000267_74bb9ec9.jpg

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We had a boat for a week on the broads (never again, we had cabin fever after one day) then a place on the Bush Estate, Eccles-on-Sea, a few years ago, now that is a strange place, lot of oddballs live there in assorted "housing", bungalows, pre-fabs, huts, caravans etc One road in and out, no street lights, no mobile signal (then), set well below the sea walls, deer roaming about, blokes with guns roaming about.....we all liked it a lot and enjoyed great walks North and South. See it whilst it's still there. :okay:

3000267_74bb9ec9.jpg
So that's were we don't want to stay.......what about somewhere you recommend :smile: :smile: :smile:
That is supposed to be a funny comment (in case you take me seriously).
Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mrs S will only cycle on traffic free paths
Unless you like wallowing around in sand and mud, I suspect we only really have enough cycle-only paths in King's Lynn, Norwich and maybe Great Yarmouth but even then, some quiet streets link up the paths.

Bird watching (not serious twitchers but do enjoy it)
Titchwell RSPB is quite good for that. Fun to get to by cycling but I'd only do the bare minimum on the A149 - one of my favourite bits of NCN Route 1 is nearby.

TVC

I know you said Norfolk, so I will offer Suffolk, The stretch from Southwold to Aldeburgh is particularly nice with plenty of walks and stuff for old farts to do (that's why we go every year). It's not that far a drive south from the Broads. For birds you've got Minsmere just south of Southwold.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I haven't been there for rather a lot of years, but for almost traffic free riding I wonder if west Norfolk, centered on Snettisham might be good? I rather fancy it myself. Does anyone have up to date information?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I haven't a clue where we stayed in Norfolk but it was somewhere between three places of high interest to me:

The North Norfolk Railway at Sheringham, The Thursford traction engine museum and Bressingham Gardens, Diss with a large collection of traction engines and steam locomotives and several narrow gauge locomotives around the gardens which has lots of plants for sale.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know you said Norfolk, so I will offer Suffolk, The stretch from Southwold to Aldeburgh is particularly nice with plenty of walks and stuff for old farts to do (that's why we go every year). It's not that far a drive south from the Broads. For birds you've got Minsmere just south of Southwold.

I was going to say the same, but missing out the old bit.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I haven't a clue where we stayed in Norfolk but it was somewhere between three places of high interest to me:

The North Norfolk Railway at Sheringham, The Thursford traction engine museum and Bressingham Gardens, Diss with a large collection of traction engines and steam locomotives and several narrow gauge locomotives around the gardens which has lots of plants for sale.
So.............what is your interest then :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator

3000267_74bb9ec9.jpg
I lived on the Bush Estate. Loved it.
It's a lot nicer there now than it was in the 80s. Many many more proper buildings. My place was a prefab with one heat source - woodburner.
It's right next to the sea but there is no shop there now. Nearest would be Happisburgh or Sea Pallin. Mind you, Tesco at Stalham is only a 5 mile bike ride away.

Further inland, there are off road cycle routes such as The Marriotts Way, Peddars Way & Weavers Way. Norfolk Coast Cycleway too, but it's not traffic free.

Norwich is a rather lovely city, if you want a bit of history. It's had a royal charter since around C1100 so it's quite an old city.

Danny B

I do a great 50 mile ride from horsey wind pump up to Cromer and back. Nice country roads some of them right on the coast. Lovely villages to go through a number of stops if you want. Horsey wind pump is a national trust site. You can go round the wind pump, take a trip on horsey broad or a short walk to the beach and you can see the baby seals in the winter. Worth a goggle.

Top Bottom