Norfolk.........holiday ideas wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I lived on the Bush Estate. Loved it.
It's a lot nicer there now than it was in the 80s. Many many more proper buildings. My place was a prefab with one heat source - woodburner.
It's right next to the sea but there is no shop there now. Nearest would be Happisburgh or Sea Pallin. Mind you, Tesco at Stalham is only a 5 mile bike ride away.

Ahem, when I said oddballs lived there, I meant it nicely, a sprinkling of eccentrics and arty types amid the retirees. :smile: I found it "odd" and I liked it a lot, I'll go back if it doesn't get washed away first.

Norwich is worth a day. Marriot's Way is traffic-free part of NCN route 1 (North Sea Cycle Route).
You can cycle from Norwich to broads rental centre Wroxham. There is also a train up to Cromer and Sherringham.
The coast road is narrow and busy but inland there is a DIY alt route. Holkam Hall and beach are worth a look. Cley is birdwatcher central.
Swaffham has an ecocentre with a viewing platform on a high turbine tower. Kings Lynn has rail connection to Cambridge.

machew

Veteran
There are hills in Well-next-the-sea. The road outside Wells is called Two furlong Hill. Cos it is a hill that goes up for two furlongs. And you have a one mile flat straight road out to the beach to practice your sprints

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
There are hills in Well-next-the-sea. The road outside Wells is called Two furlong Hill. Cos it is a hill that goes up for two furlongs. And you have a one mile flat straight road out to the beach to practice your sprints

The hill that always used to do me in was the one at Snettisham.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I haven't been there for rather a lot of years, but for almost traffic free riding I wonder if west Norfolk, centered on Snettisham might be good? I rather fancy it myself. Does anyone have up to date information?
I rode there last weekend with KLWNBUG to the Granary cafe. Snettisham is pretty good. The only problem is the only direct route north is a mile or so of busy coast road into Heacham, so you have to detour east to Route 1 if you want a nicer ride. The country roads are good cycling and even the B road is usually OK. Traffic free paths start at Hunstanton, and North Wootton park for King's Lynn. The Sandringham scenic drive is often open to cycling and pretty quiet.

Durian

Über Member
As previously mentioned Wells-next-the -sea and Sheringham are decent enough places. From what I remember of the Broads there seemed to be plenty of places to moor up and find some decent pubs. I took a boat out from Wroxham and went over to Potter Heigham, getting through the extremely narrow bridge at Potter Heigham should get your bum twitching!

mybike

Are you sure you're thinking of Snettisham? I can't think of a hill in the village itself.

Lynn road, north towards Heacham. Before the new road was built that was a long drag on my trips from Ingoldisthorpe to Heacham riding my Triumph Palm Beach. I think it was the sheer length of it I hated.

There seem to be what look like the remains of an old drove road crossing the roads that go east/west that might be worth exploring.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I see, on the way out of the village. I regard that road as pretty much no-go for most of the year :sad:
There seem to be what look like the remains of an old drove road crossing the roads that go east/west that might be worth exploring.
Is it a bridleway? Some of the local landowners are actively hostile to people crossing their land. It took some mass protest walks to get the coastal footpath south from the end of the beach road to the RSPB reserve recognised.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blakeney is a lovely little place, with walks out over the flats, many birds, boat trips to see seals 'n that. Do be warned if you're going Norfolk though...if you need to go to Happisburgh, don't ask the locals for 'Happy's-burg'...they'll go all faux-baffled, then smirk at you. It's pronounced 'Hares-brer' apparently. Obvious really.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Holkham is beautiful and the stately home there has a secret passageway.
And the beach is pretty spectacular (make sure you have the right bit though, part of it is a naturist beach!)

Also I cannot recommend Dinosaur Adventure Land enough. No I don't have kids. Who needs kids to enjoy dinosaur fun?

mybike

Blakeney is a lovely little place, with walks out over the flats, many birds, boat trips to see seals 'n that. Do be warned if you're going Norfolk though...if you need to go to Happisburgh, don't ask the locals for 'Happy's-burg'...they'll go all faux-baffled, then smirk at you. It's pronounced 'Hares-brer' apparently. Obvious really.

Ingles'thorpe, Snett'sham, Hunst'on. :whistle:

Top Bottom