Norfolk.........holiday ideas wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Blakeney is a lovely little place, with walks out over the flats, many birds, boat trips to see seals 'n that. Do be warned if you're going Norfolk though...if you need to go to Happisburgh, don't ask the locals for 'Happy's-burg'...they'll go all faux-baffled, then smirk at you. It's pronounced 'Hares-brer' apparently. Obvious really.
Likewise Stiffkey just down the road from Wells is pronounced 'Stewkey'

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Ingles'thorpe, Snett'sham, Hunst'on. :whistle:

Windum. :tongue:

Postmanhat

Have stayed at Heacham a couple of times. Not a patch on Blakeney or Wells, but cheaper. You can cycle up to Hunstanton and onwards along the coast. Or drive down to Snettishsam and go south. Titchwell's a cracking reserve

Norwich is worth a day. Marriot's Way is traffic-free part of NCN route 1 (North Sea Cycle Route).
You can cycle from Norwich to broads rental centre Wroxham. There is also a train up to Cromer and Sherringham.
The coast road is narrow and busy but inland there is a DIY alt route. Holkam Hall and beach are worth a look. Cley is birdwatcher central.
Swaffham has an ecocentre with a viewing platform on a high turbine tower. Kings Lynn has rail connection to Cambridge.
Unfortunately that's all Swaffham has! I work there and quite like the place but there's nowt to see really.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Stayed at South Creake in June - very nice with good access to North Coast beaches and Sandringham.

Steer clear of Walsingham - full of strange religious artefact shops plus when we visited we came across several groups of pilgrims with blood streaming out of their bare feet. Unless you like that sort of thing.

We met one group on the Pilgrims Way and they were freaky - odd, staring people, mumbling prayers, clasping hands and totally unfriendly. A bit un-nerving really.

Local driving standards on the bouncy, long straight roads are of the high speed take no prisoner variety.

Nice place, not really a huge amount to do apart from beach walks etc. Now we've been there the once we wouldn't go back.

DRM

Guru
Visited the Broads once, the impression it left on me was that all pubs, shops & restaurants were of the lowest quality of service, attitude of staff, combined with eye watering prices, wouldn't go back if you paid me.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
OOOOh, you must go to the weird shrine ding dong at Walsingham.

I've rama lamad at the ding dong at Walsingham.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
The North Norfolk coast from Hunstanton to Cromer is a favourite holiday destination for me both for walking and cycling. I usually go tenting but there's plenty of holiday cottages for hire.

AndyRM

XOXO
If you do venture into Norwich, I'd recommend The Library, Frank's, 42 King Street and The Bicycle Shop as cracking places to eat and drink.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Seal watching from Blakeney Point is a good way to spend a good couple of hours. Several boats leave from there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you do venture into Norwich, I'd recommend The Library, Frank's, 42 King Street and The Bicycle Shop as cracking places to eat and drink.
Has the Library gotten better recently,then? ;) It was OK but nothing special last visit a year or so ago and I've not been back because there's so many places to eat...

Most places I've tried on nearby Pottergate are good, especially the Belgian Monk and the one opposite upstairs. St Benedicts (where the Bicycle Shop is, I think, but I might have confused it with the Dandy Horse) used to be good too but I've not tried many there lately. If you've not booked, the Waffle House on St Giles is an institution and much better than its St Albans cousin.

However, I think there's better eating in North West Norfolk, at places like the Crown in East Rudham or the Orange Tree in Thornham or the Market Bistro and Bank House in Lynn. There are also good cheaper places around too and checking reviews would probably find who's good right now.

Top Bottom