Norfolk/Suffolk, advice sought please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeShot

Veteran
Myself and three friends are looking for a base (hotel/pub) in the above area to ride from each day. Four days cycling. 50 or so miles per day. Aylsham, Framlingham or Fakenham look possibilities, but I’d appreciate any local knowledge and recommendations. Despite all being over 60, none of us have any experience of this area
Thanks in advance

sheddy

Legendary Member
on-road or off-road ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Fakenham is a good base as 50 miles should get you to Lynn, Hunstanton, Sheringham, Swaffham, Watton or Dereham and back by quiet roads and occasional tarmac cycleways. A few more miles would get you to Cromer or Norwich. Not that big a town but that's true of all the ones you name. Let me know if you want cafe suggestions and vaguely where as there's too many to mention. Golding's in Lynn, Coco's in Swaffham, the Old Lifeboat House in Old Hunstanton to name three of the best in towns.

Aylsham is nearer to Norwich, would put you in range of more coast, and has some good cycling routes around Blickling (but not all tarmac) and is just about in range of Wells and Walsingham but I don't know it as well.

Last edited:

Big T

Guru
Plenty of nice roads in NW Norfolk near Fakenham. Some lovely lanes if you stay off the coast road, which can be busy. My SiL used to have a caravan at Hunstanton, so I've done quite a lot of riding round there. Places to visit include Wells next the Sea, Walsingham, Castle Acre, Holt, Sandringham, Sheringham.

OP
OP
T

TeeShot

Veteran
Thank you both for your replies. I will get my old OS maps out and do some planning.
Thanks again

I live just outside Aylsham and spend a lot of my cycling time on the smaller roads and lanes. Beware the surface can be very rough some areas are really rural.
Also don't expect shops and cafes, heading down to the coast road in the morning, 28 miles and I won't see either! Plenty of both on the coast road itself which I love to ride on. Great views and a few bumpy bits to raise the heart rate. If you base yourselves in Aylsham, message me and I will try and help with info and maybe even meet for a ride. Only road I try to avoid is A140.

simongt

Guru
Framlingham
Did you mean Framlingham - ? That's down in the heart of Suffolk; they talk funny down there - ! :rofl:

OP
OP
T

TeeShot

Veteran
480D82E7-F0CC-4ACC-9FEC-9375A499C37B.jpeg
Careful how old. There's a dirty great dual carriageway between Norwich and Aylsham now, as the blind county council slowly build Norwich a third ring road in the vain hope that it's third time lucky!
My OS is from 1983!!! but this should give me a more up to date overview

Top Bottom