Normal traffic density is going to take some getting used to again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's an interesting idea but the other major variable at work is lower population density in rural areas, with fewer people gathering at churches, temples, mosques and sports events.

But yes, I must admit that during the really bad times when I'm sitting in traffic a lot and not cycling much my lungs do get a bit congested thanks to pollution, especially in times of anticyclonic weather when there's no wind to blow away the fumes.

You're not suggesting we're a Godless bunch of heathens down here are you??

Air pollution compromises lung function.. That's a no- brainer surely.

To what degree its affected CV outcomes, is of course still not measurable.

Because of course greater pollution is often in areas of higher population density etc etc.

But we also have a lot of care homes down here too.

It will take a while to process the figures usefully, and in any way conclusively.

Drago

Legendary Member
Air pollution compromises lung function.. That's a no- brainer surely.
Scientifically, it is not a no brainer. Certain types of air pollution may affect lung function.

Reactions: C R

DSK

A good chum of mine is the head of our local Safer Roads Team, or Save The Roads team as I like to call them to wind him up. Despite the vast drop in traffic numbers he reckons that not only are speeding detections up numerically, but the number of utter tear-arse nutters doing warp speeds has risen dramatically, which justifies our chief freemason's decision to keep speed enforcement running as usual (ie, one camera van parking up for a snooze here and there throughout the day).

Can't blame them to be honest. I drive a number of older seriously high performance classics and a superbike but, do not have a nail it everywhere attitude. I can easily drive/ride at the permitted speed limits and do so without getting stressed, only really giving it the beans for a few seconds up a motorway slip road on occasion.

We live on a 20mph road with speed bumps and 3 schools on it, people are now tearing it up at around 50mph, you can hear the financed modern sh!t boxes having their drive trains battered as the cars smash into and off the speed bumps.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Authorities in Milan are proposing an ambitious plan to reallocate over 20 miles of the city's roads to motor traffic after the Covid-19 crisis ends
Every city should be looking at following this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...vent-post-crisis-return-of-traffic-pollution?

Milan is to introduce one of Europe’s most ambitious schemes reallocating street space from cars to cycling and walking, in response to the coronavirus crisis.

The northern Italian city and surrounding Lombardy region are among Europe’s most polluted, and have also been especially hard hit by the Covid-19 outbreak.​
Under the nationwide lockdown, motor traffic congestion has dropped by 30-75%, and air pollution with it. City officials hope to fend off a resurgence in car use as residents return to work looking to avoid busy public transport.​
The city has announced that 35km (22 miles) of streets will be transformed over the summer, with a rapid, experimental citywide expansion of cycling and walking space to protect residents as Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.​
The Strade Aperte plan, announced on Tuesday, includes low-cost temporary cycle lanes, new and widened pavements, 30kph (20mph) speed limits, and pedestrian and cyclist priority streets. The locations include a low traffic neighbourhood on the site of the former Lazzaretto, a refuge for victims of plague epidemics in the 15th and 16th centuries.​

DRM

Guru
A good chum of mine is the head of our local Safer Roads Team, or Save The Roads team as I like to call them to wind him up. Despite the vast drop in traffic numbers he reckons that not only are speeding detections up numerically, but the number of utter tear-arse nutters doing warp speeds has risen dramatically, which justifies our chief freemason's decision to keep speed enforcement running as usual (ie, one camera van parking up for a snooze here and there throughout the day).
My observations lately show your mate is bob on with his reckoning, I’ve been overtaken by numpties doing well in excess of 85-90 mph on the A1, the traffic cars need to be out in force and throw the book, and the bookcase at these idiots, the NHS has enough on it’s plate right now.
And on our estate the speed limit has been reduced to 20 mph, which has had the bizzare effect of drivers going faster then when it was a 30 mph limit 🤬

My observations lately show your mate is bob on with his reckoning, I’ve been overtaken by numpties doing well in excess of 85-90 mph on the A1, the traffic cars need to be out in force and throw the book, and the bookcase at these idiots, the NHS has enough on it’s plate right now.
And on our estate the speed limit has been reduced to 20 mph, which has had the bizzare effect of drivers going faster then when it was a 30 mph limit 🤬
I could be wrong and it may just be that I have more time on my hands but I'm seeing an increasing number of cars written off badly in solo car accidents; FFS the NHS etc don't need the extra pressure due to these numpties 😠

Smudge

Veteran
Cycling down into town the other day was a strange experience with the roads being so quiet. In fact it took me back to how Sundays used to be in the 70's, outside of pub opening times and no shops were open.

Brooks

The shared use paths near me hardly had a pedestrian on them before all this, now they are packed with people. I'm enjoying the roads due to a serious lack of traffic and I've noticed a lot more cyclists out enjoying their bikes and the good weather. A lot of families out too, but some are showing really irresponsible behaviour, I live on a one way street and I've noticed a good few families cycling down the street the wrong way. My street is just off a high street and if this continues there will be an accident in no time at all. I've had a volley of abuse before for pointing out the obvious so I just leave them to it now. It's a shame as its good to see more people out on bikes.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For those who think that traffic levels are creeping up here is the evidence to show it isn't the case:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index

This analyses the actual levels of traffic congestion. There is no evidence of increase in congestion in major cities in UK

Screenshot_20200421-204546.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not all types of air pollution, and of those that not every subject suffers measurable adverse consequences. Don't just cherry pick.

I started talking about NO2 upthread and someones research suggesting - but not concluding - that lung damage caused by exposure to this gas might correlate with increased rates of morbidity in cases of CV .

i continued on that theme - i never said all types of pollution would have this effect - nor did i try to suggest that every subject suffers measurable effects as a result - that would be a highly unlikely absolutism

Rather than you suggesting that i shouldn't cherry pick - perhaps better that you don't try put words into the mouths of others ..

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It may be the type of roads/lanes that i ride, but I've not noticed an increase in speeds - quite the opposite in fact. With the sheer number of people taking to these lanes on foot or on bike in the past few weeks, most drivers now realise that there may be something unexpected round the corner so are slowing down just in case. Or, having been out on foot or bike, they now understand how vulnerable they are so slow down when back in their cars for others' safety.

Top Bottom