North-West England and Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

memoman

Just having a look at google maps and I'm not sure what is the best route to do around North-West England, as it seems to be just one big urban area. Which I would like to avoid if possible. Also, which path do people take in Scotland. I was planning on going up the west to avoid the mountains but is this advisable?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
stick to the west of the m6 north of liverpool is probably the quietest. And the A6 north of carnforth is a nice route up to carlisle... unless you want to take in a bit of the Lakes.

west route through scotland (Rannock Moor, Glen Coe, fort William) is one of the nicest journeys I've ever had the pleasure to have made...but i was in a car.

Koi

I completed my jogle on the 6th August. I went via the Isle of Arran to miss Glasgow and it was worth the extra miles.

The best section of my route, without any doubt whatsoever, was Fort William to Inverary, via Glencoe/Rannoch moor, absolutely stunning & not dificult cycling.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ask colinj for the northwest section, he's a whizz at sorting quiet routes out, he HATES main roads. he's become quite adept over the years at spotting what mere mortals miss.

twobiker

We went up the A82 on the 6th of August 2011 and from Tarbet onwards it is narrow with barely room for two vehicles to pass in some places especially if they try to avoid the potholes, its been like it for at least the last 25 years.

wintonbina

Über Member
We went through Edinburgh (roads are the worst ever!) then through the Cairngorms which is lovely but to be fair when we went across to Fort William that was very good too! So I would say they are both as good!!!

Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

pkeenan

Über Member
I took the A7 from Carlisle to Edinburgh. It has a few busy areas, but on the whole I found it to be a lovely road for cycling.

Rebel Ian

We went up the A82 on the 6th of August 2011 and from Tarbet onwards it is narrow with barely room for two vehicles to pass in some places especially if they try to avoid the potholes, its been like it for at least the last 25 years.

Yes, the A82 that runs directly alongside Loch Lomond is a brilliant road. Fast, smooth and if heading North slightly downhill. It's once you get to Tarbet and head inland and upwards that the road narrows and is a shocking surface. Once beyond that and up into the Highlands it's ok again.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm planning the mostly traffic free sustrans route (62) from Widnes then up through the eastern edge of Liverpool (looks like it may be an old railway line or something), then east before Southport and up through Preston, then lanes all the way thorugh Lancs and Cumbria. Then it's through Langholm in Scotland and on to Edinburgh via Eskdalemuir.

Then lanes to Dunkeld, Sustrans route 7 to Inverness, then on up along route 1, right at Altnaharra onto the B873 to Bettyhill, and east along the coast to JOG.
All looks dead quiet from the maps. hoping to do the whole thing on B roads and traffic free routes.

twobiker

Yes, the A82 that runs directly alongside Loch Lomond is a brilliant road. Fast, smooth and if heading North slightly downhill. It's once you get to Tarbet and head inland and upwards that the road narrows and is a shocking surface. Once beyond that and up into the Highlands it's ok again.

:thumbsup:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I'm planning the mostly traffic free sustrans route (62) from Widnes then up through the eastern edge of Liverpool (looks like it may be an old railway line or something), then east before Southport and up through Preston, then lanes all the way thorugh Lancs and Cumbria. Then it's through Langholm in Scotland and on to Edinburgh via Eskdalemuir.

Then lanes to Dunkeld, Sustrans route 7 to Inverness, then on up along route 1, right at Altnaharra onto the B873 to Bettyhill, and east along the coast to JOG.
All looks dead quiet from the maps. hoping to do the whole thing on B roads and traffic free routes.

The liverpool loop-line will avoid most of the city, and is pleasant cycling (not after dark though ;))

Ah, I see it is part of Route 62 anyway.. here is a leaflet about it

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The liverpool loop-line will avoid most of the city, and is pleasant cycling (not after dark though ;))

Ah, I see it is part of Route 62 anyway.. here is a leaflet about it

Great links- many thanks. Reassured it looks like a good choice of route. That bit will be my longest urban stretch of the whole ride so it's great to see it described as a green route. Hope I get there before dark!

sabian92

Über Member
If you do use the 62, watch out for the Silver Jubilee Bridge (Runcorn-Widnes Bridge). You do NOT want to cycle over that! Instant suicide comes to mind.

Top Bottom