Northern Rock Cyclone 104 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I'm planning on doing the 104 mile cyclone in June next year.

Here is a link to the map:
http://www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk/downloads/MapCycloneC.jpg

I normally do 45 miles on a Saturday at 15-16mph avg, but I can't really get much done during the week.

I'm planning on getting a turbo trainer for Christmas, so I should have 6 months to prepare :girl:

What sort of training would I do on the turbo trainer, and is it possible with the Time frame and my current fitness?

Oh, and in case you didn't look at the map, it is a really hilly route with 3-4 significant climbs (one is 1000ft in one go, around 7000ft of climbing in total).

aka0019

woohoo me to! I done the 60 mile one this year so going for the hundred one next year. Sorry I know i'm not answering your question but just thought i'd say

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sam,
Over the 3 months to June I built up to cycling to Rothbury and back from Pont but I don't think I could have managed the 100 mile Cyclone last year.

Just started cycling after 3 months off the bike, I'm sad to see how much stamina I've lost so quickly. I'm aiming for the 62 mile one next year

Your plan sounds good, I'd hope 8 months would be OK starting from such a sound base level..

SimonC

Sam Kennedy said:
I'm planning on doing the 104 mile cyclone in June next year.

Here is a link to the map:
http://www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk/downloads/MapCycloneC.jpg

I normally do 45 miles on a Saturday at 15-16mph avg, but I can't really get much done during the week.

I'm planning on getting a turbo trainer for Christmas, so I should have 6 months to prepare :smile:

What sort of training would I do on the turbo trainer, and is it possible with the Time frame and my current fitness?

Oh, and in case you didn't look at the map, it is a really hilly route with 3-4 significant climbs (one is 1000ft in one go, around 7000ft of climbing in total).

Definitely possible - presume you will use the turbo on winter evenings - plenty of turbo programmes if you search online, mainly interval based. Dont think that you have to spend the winter just plodding, you should use it for more intensive work.

Last years 100 miler wasnt too bad, some longish climbs, but after the Ryals, its a long flat blast back to the finish.

I guess you have also worked out now that its all different once you pinned a number on. I know sportives arent a race, but I set off in first group last year and it was pretty full on.

You'll do it, and be glad you did when you are back in the house crashed out on the sofa stuffing your face.:smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I did ride 'b' in 2008 and stepped up to ride 'c' this year... it's a fantastic ride, and very well organised ('cept they ran out of t-shirts my size, boo hoo).
Can't answer your turbo question either... I reckon best way is to get out and ride :biggrin: The Ryals are a bit scary, so this year, in the weeks leading up to the ride, I did them three times....:biggrin: But they're short and sharp, I guess.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

I've spoken to the person who organises the even (Peter Harrison) and he said I should do the 63 mile one since I haven't done any of the cyclone events before.
Maybe once I get a REAL road bike he will let me :biggrin:

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

He said he's not letting me do the 104 mile one...
I guess I could do it anyway but he's more experienced and stuff, I'll know closer to the time :smile:

Top Bottom