Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I managed my first longish one today, after nearly two weeks with a chest infection. 54 miles with about 3000ft of climbing.

Felt pretty good afterwards, if a little hot.

So 20 miles on Sunday and Monday (commute) then may do another 50 on Tuesday.

Looking forward to Saturday, just hope the weather holds out.

LizardEye

Planned to go over Bilsmoor today but events had other ideas. Will have to make do with going up the local hills half a dozen times each day till Thursday. Anyone going to register in Leazes Park on Friday?

LizardEye said:
Planned to go over Bilsmoor today but events had other ideas. Will have to make do with going up the local hills half a dozen times each day till Thursday. Anyone going to register in Leazes Park on Friday?

I'm going up. Not sure what time as I'm on a course on Friday, so not sure what time I will get finished.

May even take the misses up and have a meal in toon!

KEEF

Veteran
I'm hoping to register on Friday will be there with small person who thinks today's ride out in trailer was Cyclone:smile:.No sign of new bike arriving before Sat so still on for 60 on ebay bitza bike don't think it will make 104:blush:every time I take out another part gets to creak ;)

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm going to register on Friday too... will possibly wear my cycle chat shirt to the park, so if you spot one, come and say hello! :laugh:

cannondalerugby5

Advice Needed - First 100

Hi
Thanks for reading.
I am riding the 104 on Saturday(unless you can talk me into the 60)
Did my first sportive 2 weekends ago at Keswick and got the shock of my life.:ohmy:
1.Could not ride up Honister or Newlands Hause.
I had a compact and a 11/23 and weigh 107kg.
2.It appeared noone was riding to have fun,we started very late and were riding at 17 ish mph and kept getting passed by really fast groups.
I have now fitted a 12/28 for this weekend.
Could someone please assure me that there are no hills like Honister and Newlands and that I should do the 104 and not the shorter route.
Really what I am looking for are tips to getting through it or is the jump to 100 from 60 to 100 too much
Thanks
Steve

cannondalerugby5 said:
Hi
Thanks for reading.
I am riding the 104 on Saturday(unless you can talk me into the 60)
Did my first sportive 2 weekends ago at Keswick and got the shock of my life.:wacko:
1.Could not ride up Honister or Newlands Hause.
I had a compact and a 11/23 and weigh 107kg.
2.It appeared noone was riding to have fun,we started very late and were riding at 17 ish mph and kept getting passed by really fast groups.
I have now fitted a 12/28 for this weekend.
Could someone please assure me that there are no hills like Honister and Newlands and that I should do the 104 and not the shorter route.
Really what I am looking for are tips to getting through it or is the jump to 100 from 60 to 100 too much
Thanks
Steve

I have not done the cyclone route before, but I dont believe the hills are as bad as the lakes. There will be some short sharp pulls though and some long drags, but a 34/28 should get you up no bother. I'll be riding a 34/25 and have been assured by friends that it will be ok. (unles they dont really like me;))

As for getting through the ride, I would say start early and dont over do it in the early stages. Take on plenty food and drink. Try to stay in a group as it makes things much easier, especially as its looks as though it could be windy:sad:

Im hoping my riding buddies will still be tired off the Lanzerote Ironman last week:becool:

LizardEye

I would agree with addictfreak. Having ridden the 64 and ridden or driven around the rest of the 104 route, there aren't that many serious climbs. (Someone please remind me of this on Saturday!). The major climb is Bilsmoor, about half way round which looks a long slog, but I wouldn't have thought anything like what you might find in the Lakes.

The other two climbs, Ritton Bank and the Ryals are steep but relatively short. There's also the one from Forestburngate over to Rothbury, but that's nothing compared to doing it the other way, and if I can do that then anyone can.

I for one will be riding it to have fun (again someone please remind me when I'm in the middle of the Ryals) and I'm sure I'll not be the only one.

You've got all day, four chances to nosh on bananas and will be surrounded by people in the same boat.

Do it. You can't wimp out now!

Mark_Robson

addictfreak said:
What time are you guys planning to start on Saturday?

I will be meeting my mates in Gosfortmvh at 0730 to hopefully start around 0800.
AF if you know of anyone who would like a place on route B then let me know as mine is up for grabs. I was going to advertise it on here but people at work expressed an interest in doing the ride but they haven't followed through.

neslon

I'm hoping to get away at 0800 as well like last year, although being passed by most of the field last year was a bit of a bore. I'll be wearing the usual light blue/lime green Marbella MTB kit. See you at the start

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My start time depends on my lift there... as early as I can, though. I'm definitely doing it for fun... no matter what distance I do, I'm always somewhere between 13-16mph :ohmy:

LizardEye

I'm hoping to get there about 8. Although if it's anything like last year, that means queuing till 9 to set off.

Top Bottom