Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

Fnaar, I would definitely be up for that! I was thinking of meeting outside that cafe/pub in Ponteland. If I can do that, then I might be able to do the 100 miler :tongue:
I would have to make sure I bring enough to eat, I normally end up under-eating :sad:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Sam Kennedy said:
Fnaar, I would definitely be up for that! I was thinking of meeting outside that cafe/pub in Ponteland. If I can do that, then I might be able to do the 100 miler :laugh:
I would have to make sure I bring enough to eat, I normally end up under-eating :tongue:

Cool. I'll put another post up here nearer the time, for all those interested :smile:

Fnaar said:
Yes, don't get worried if I offer you a jelly baby. :biggrin:

For those up for a practice ride, perhaps sometime in April/May (or both??). Doesn't have to be the full kaboodle, I guess, perhaps something like this: http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_419346.html
Includes fair old chunk of the 100 miler (misses out Otterburn, Greenhaugh, Bellingham etc) but includes the caff at Elsdon xx( and the Ryals, of course.

Those coming out of Toon could (perhaps) meet in Ponteland. I can be waiting at Dyke Neuk.

Depending on work, I could be tempted to join you

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi folks, just to keep this alive (and following a PM from Sam), I need to negotiate with Mrs F a bit (kids etc), but poss looking at April 10th (Sat) and another in May (tba) for the ride (or variations thereof) linked to in earlier post (80 odd miles).
Oh yeah, and to give an idea of pace etc, well, I'm a 48yr old fella who could be fitter, but on these roads/distances I tend to average about 13-14mph.

Fnaar said:
Hi folks, just to keep this alive (and following a PM from Sam), I need to negotiate with Mrs F a bit (kids etc), but poss looking at April 10th (Sat) and another in May (tba) for the ride (or variations thereof) linked to in earlier post (80 odd miles).
Oh yeah, and to give an idea of pace etc, well, I'm a 48yr old fella who could be fitter, but on these roads/distances I tend to average about 13-14mph.

Im up for that work permitting.

Peter Harrison

Peter Harrison said:
Entries now up to 1034 for the 104ml ride (3 miles more than last year with another sneaky climb):biggrin:
You are right that you can change on the day but don't want to make it too public as there could be a hell of a lot of bananas left at the top of Bilsmoor:ohmy:
Keep spreading the word and let's make this the biggest event in the UK and show those from the deep south how beautiful (and hilly) Northumberland really is and how traffic free our roads are all year round.
Hope everyone will turn out on the sunday to see the pros race up the Ryals four times:laugh:

295 places left for the 104ml ride and 100 for the 63 ml ride - get your entries in quick:smile:

LizardEye

April's a bit early for me having gone soft over the winter but would definately be interested in May. I drove up the Ryals on Monday and, b***er me I'd forgot how steep they were.

BTW for those of you in the South Shields area, there's a new bike shop opened in Whitburn. It's on the bit of the coast road that goes through the village. Not a great selection of bikes yet , but they have a great workshop area and there's a coffee shop attached so a nice place to stop on a Sunday afternoon.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mark_Robson said:
I just signed up for the 63 mile route. I wanted to sign up for the long ride but my bottle wasn't up to it.

I've got a spare bottle if you like :evil:
No, fair enough, best to do what you feel is achievable, sometimes. That's exactly why I did the 63 when I first did it. Having doen it, I realised I could have done more, and began to think I could do the 100... which I could :ohmy:

Mark_Robson

To be honest Fnaar the 63 mile route shouldn't be much of a challenge for me ( I did 54 on my MTB on Monday ) so another nine of my all carbon racer shouldn't be an issue
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...4.992191,-1.595764&spn=0.207595,0.617294&z=11

But the 100 miler worries me. The hills are steeper and the ride time is longer. I'm not sure if it may be a hill too far for me or if the only barrier is in my head.

Mark_Robson said:
To be honest Fnaar the 63 mile route shouldn't be much of a challenge for me ( I did 54 on my MTB on Monday ) so another nine of my all carbon racer shouldn't be an issue
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...4.992191,-1.595764&spn=0.207595,0.617294&z=11

But the 100 miler worries me. The hills are steeper and the ride time is longer. I'm not sure if it may be a hill too far for me or if the only barrier is in my head.

Did you do the same route there and back to Consett?

Its a nice ride up the derwent walk, not sure if you are aware but you could have returned via the sunderland to consett railway (c2c).
It one of my most ridden routes.

I understand what your saying about the cyclone. I entered the 104 in a moment of madness:biggrin:. Hopefully by then I will have got the miles in. Theres a few lads from work doing it so I may just draught all the way:evil:.

Im in Boldon too, give me a wave if you see me. I'll either be on my Black Focus Roadie, or White Scott Roadie (when the weather is good) or on a Scott Scale MTB.

What are you riding?

If you are interested in club cycling theres a club who meet at the community centre once a month and they ride every sunday. Been meaning to go along myself but aint found the time yet.

Mark_Robson

Addictfreak, it's nice to know that there are other locals into cycling. You may see me about, either alone or with my son on either a Carrera Fury, a Carrera Virtuoso ( red ) or a Raleigh Carbon Comp ( my fair weather bike ). I work weekends quite a bit but I am very interested in the club rides. The problem of riding alone is setting myself a pace that will push me.

I did return on the Sunderland leg of the C2C but for some reason when I upload long routes from my phone to Google maps it splits them into separate pages. If you click on the next button on the bottom left hand side of the page that will take you to part B of the route and if you click on the end of route icon that will give you a breakdown of the ride, average speed etc.

I live in Owen drive and spend quite a bit of time pottering about in the garage, say hello if you are passing.

Well Mark you can probably see my house from yours! Im on the Copperfields (new estate) next to the comprehensive school.

The club that meets at Boldon CA are Sunderland Clarion, first wednesday of every month I believe. I met a couple of them a while back, seem like canny lads. As i said I keep meaning to go along, but like you I seem to work quite a few weekends either on night or dayshift.

Top Bottom