Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK folks: April 10th is fine for me...
So, whoever's coming, I suggest you confirm on this thread.

Suggested route here: http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_419346.html

As previously mentioned, I can meet at Dyke Neuk pub car park, at about mile 10 (zoom in on the map). My preferred time would be to meet there about 9.30am. (I'll complete the ride and come back to Ponteland, though).

I guess others coming out from Toon might want to meet earlier in Ponteland (I will leave exact place to you folks to sort out; I don't know Ponteland v well). My usual pace is around 13-14mph, so decide if that suits you or not; I guess we can agree to regroup at hilltops or whatever is necessary on the day...

Caff stop at Elsdon (about mile 46... might be others too, I guess). Altitude graph on map shows total ascent of 4423 feet... no idea if that's accurate or not, but assume it is.

Just meant to be a ride with like-minded people, wanting to get some distances in with N Rock Cyclone in mind, so please make sure you have supplies of snacks/drink, right clothes and a Plan B if you can't complete distance for whatever reason.

Will be nice to meet CCers... ;)

Hi,

Think that 10th of april may be a bit too soon for that route for me, won't have the miles in the legs what with dissertations to be written and all.

May join you up to Forestburn Gate and then cut down along the 63 mile route to the Ryals and then back to NCL. You guys might even catch me up on the way back to the Toon!

Hope this doesn't scupper anything, other more than welcome to join me

Hi,

Think that 10th of april may be a bit too soon for that route for me, won't have the miles in the legs what with dissertations to be written and all.:smile:

May join you up to Forestburn Gate and then cut down along the 63 mile route to the Ryals and then back to NCL. You guys might even catch me up on the way back to the Toon!

Hope this doesn't scupper anything, others are more than welcome to join.

Fnaar said:
OK folks: April 10th is fine for me...
So, whoever's coming, I suggest you confirm on this thread.

Suggested route here: http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_419346.html

As previously mentioned, I can meet at Dyke Neuk pub car park, at about mile 10 (zoom in on the map). My preferred time would be to meet there about 9.30am. (I'll complete the ride and come back to Ponteland, though).

I guess others coming out from Toon might want to meet earlier in Ponteland (I will leave exact place to you folks to sort out; I don't know Ponteland v well). My usual pace is around 13-14mph, so decide if that suits you or not; I guess we can agree to regroup at hilltops or whatever is necessary on the day...

Caff stop at Elsdon (about mile 46... might be others too, I guess). Altitude graph on map shows total ascent of 4423 feet... no idea if that's accurate or not, but assume it is.

Just meant to be a ride with like-minded people, wanting to get some distances in with N Rock Cyclone in mind, so please make sure you have supplies of snacks/drink, right clothes and a Plan B if you can't complete distance for whatever reason.

Will be nice to meet CCers... :smile:

Will try to make it to this ride. I am off work on the 10th. All will depend on me being able to use the wifes car to transport my bike.
The las time I did a ride with over 4500 ft of climbing it was spread over a shorter distance of 50 mile. So although the distance is longer, the climbing shouldnt be as bad. I hope! ;)

Sam Kennedy

There is a race on April 10th, but I don't mind missing it to do this ride! ;)

I was thinking we could meet at 8 or 8:30am in Ponteland, and then ride up to meet Fnaar at the Dyke Neuk for around 9:30.

We could meet up outside the cafe, or that little patch of grass where the benches are next to the roundabout.

neslon

Bah! I'm on holiday on the 10th but would love to have joined in. I did the 104 last year and loved it, despite feeling as though I was winching myself up the hills. I'll try to make an event in May though. To those doing the 60 - its a lovely route and a great trip out. Chapeaux to Peter for organising these every year.

Mark_Robson

I would liked to have tagged along but I am on nightshift on the Friday.

col1888

Just entered this last night, my first sportive ! Entered ride B , 63 miles. Looking forward to it, time to up my training ! See you all there !

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
col1888 said:
Just entered this last night, my first sportive ! Entered ride B , 63 miles. Looking forward to it, time to up my training ! See you all there !
#
Nice one col1888... hope you enjoy it! While Northumberland can be surprisingly flat (like Lincolnshire can be surprisingly lumpy), you'll find your route goes something like flat-flat-flattish-lumpy-lumpy-very lumpy-flat-flat ;)

col1888

Hi
Fnaar, thanks for that. Can anyone tell me what food and drink are at the stations ? Just so i have an idea what to carry with me. Also any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking at SiS Rego and some energy type bars at the mo.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
col1888 said:
Hi
Fnaar, thanks for that. Can anyone tell me what food and drink are at the stations ? Just so i have an idea what to carry with me. Also any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking at SiS Rego and some energy type bars at the mo.

Both times I've done it, stations have been really well stocked (except one ran out of drink... top of Billsmoor, last time). They have energy drinks, bars and bananas. I take a couple of flapjacks, some jelly babies ;) and two bottles also. Dress for fluctuations in temp* (e.g. 100 last year... sunny/warm when I started, then cloudy, then wet/cool, then sunny again). :laugh:

*(I had shorts, merino top and waterproof jacket stowed in pocket)

LizardEye

Last year there were bananas, various energy bars, lucozade/Gatorade , all in huge quantities. One thing though on the 63 miles there's a very long gap between stations. The first is at about 20 miles and the second is 12 miles from the end and it's a very hard 30 miles in between. So make sure you stock up at the first station. I nearly ran out between 1 and 2 which wasn't pleasant. On the whole though it's extremely well organised and you should expect to have great day.

Top Bottom