Norwich 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonC

This stop at Felbrig.... Last year we got there before the shop opened, got cold, stiff and "fed-up". Why the Norwich 100 can't follow a tried and tested formula (Kilotogo Sportives) of three well provisioned feed stations with free food and enery drinks included in the entry price is beyond me?
This year plan to have car with grub and drinks and stop for an appropiate rather than a prescribed time.

wafflycat

What's the reasoning behind a mandatory 30 minute stop at Felbrigg?

OP
OP
N

Newbee

Likewise Over The Hill, I shall be happy to complete let alone get under 10 hours this year, although now I am off garden leave, looks like my during the week riding will be back to two spin classes a week until the evenings lighten :-(

wafflycat

Decent lights, Newbee! You need decent lights! I find 2 x Cateye EL-530 Front Lights gives plenty of forward light (beam & spread) for the unlit lanes of rural Norfolk. Night cycling is great fun. Having a lid-mounted LED headtorch is an additional bonus for lighting up road signs and for getting noticed by oncoming motorists

Will1985

Über Member
wafflycat said:
What's the reasoning behind a mandatory 30 minute stop at Felbrigg?

Health and Safety! I remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't be surprised if the Tour of Britain was got at by HSE idiots and made it compulsory to stop for a 30 minute tea break halfway through...

Will1985

Über Member
I think it is probably being frightened of someone sueing after collapsing at 70 miles, but I found it more of a hinderance as the stop makes my legs seize up the moment I get back on the bike!

wafflycat

I know what you mean. Once I get into my rhythm, I don't want to stop for more than a few minutes *at a time & pace that's appropriate for me* If I'm forced to stop when I'm going well, I find my legs regret it...

stephec

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
The offspring is into timetrialling and he's not bad at it. Not brilliant yet - but he's working on it. His uni has given him a sports' bursary in respect of his cycling, so getting him to & from events comes first. Which is not a problem for me in reality. It just means there's the odd clash, and when it happens, his competitive cycling comes first.

That can't be a recent photo of you if you've got a son at university!

Do his mates seem to hang around your house like Perry did with Kevin's mam on Harry Enfield? ;)

wafflycat

stephec said:
That can't be a recent photo of you if you've got a son at university!

Do his mates seem to hang around your house like Perry did with Kevin's mam on Harry Enfield? :smile:

Why thank you! Compliments most gratefully received. And at my age, I am very grateful! It is me last month. Amazing what three tonne of exterior finish polyfilla will do for a gal :wacko:

...and soft focus on an avatar pic ;)

CotterPin

I did the Norwich 100 a couple of times a few years ago and the headwind is definitely an issue. IIRC the first time the route was anti-clockwise and we had the headwind in the morning - the next time they turned the route around and we had a struggle back.

Are you riding on your own? If so, get friendly with some of the other riders at the start so you can help each other out, protecting each other from the wind if necessary.

Have fun! I am thinking of doing the Salisbury 100 later in the year which has its own unique set of challenges.

e-rider

crappy member
Don't worry about the Norwich 100 - I did it last year for the first time on a mountain bike in just under 7 hours with only a few 50 mile rides for training. Other riders tend to carry you around, especially for the first 50 - just get on someones wheel (if they don't mind of course!) I didn't really notice much wind either. The last 7 miles were the most difficult - cramp etc, but otherwise no trouble. I've signed up again this year; and I'll be doing it on my mountain bike again! Food and Water is important though!

shooter560

Will1985 said:
Looks like we'll have a nice big CycleChat posse there then! I'll even have my jersey on too.

Last year I did it in 5h21m ride time (there is a mandatory 30 min stop at Felbrigg), so my target will be to get closer to 5h this year.

Hey Will, we'll have to ride it as a 2 up, get the times down loads that way :biggrin: I'm booked and looking forward to it, I agree pity about the stop though :evil:

Top Bottom