Norwich 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Newbee said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any advise on what I can do re the really blustery weather we have been having ?

Or get used to it! I am told what the Norwich 100 gives with the lack of hills, it can take away with a headwind off the North Sea.

I could only get up to 8mph on the flat in a headwind last week, felt like a steep hill all the way home.

Will1985

Über Member
I finally got round to filling in the form at the weekend - going for the sub-six hour option like shooter, and hopefully riding with him too...

At the moment I am only managing 12mph in hilly Hampshire so that looks like 8+ hours for Norwich, but when I get on a flat bit I can sit at 20mph fairly happily so then it could be done under 6 hours. On the other hand when I get really knacked I have to drop my speed down so the last half could take twice as long! So my guess is anything from 6 to 12 hours!

No chance of seeing Shooter and Will as they will just be a blur on the horizon but anyone bringing up the rear say hi to me (No. 322)

Only 7 weeks to go! Best I have done recently is 40 miles so need to get some work in.

shooter560

OTH, you are starting only 20 mins after me so I'm sure we'll meet before I go :wacko:

No worries on the distance, to be honest I very much doubt I'll even put in a 100 before the day, I'm working on the mid distance stuff and as long as I feel good then I know I'll have it in me.

Fingers crossed Will, would be great if we can get together, mind you I see the start times are only a suggestion and said that we can leave when we like but times will be calculated on start time on card not when we leave.

OP
OP
N

Newbee

Norwich 100 miler conquered, in 7 hours 10! But just have to say....Norfolk is not flat! Particullarly that evil hill before the rest point :-)

JonC

Well done - its all about getting around. Got round with my 10yo daughter on the tandem in 5.51.03 so she is over the moon - personnel longest etc. So on to The Melton Mobary Classic next weekend on a solo.

Will1985

Über Member
What time did you start JonC? I think we may have passed you at some point.

JohnG

JonC said:
Child Aduse - my daughter, 10 yo at the Norwich 100 date wants to ride as stoker on tandem (honest) however the regs are...... so a comined bike rider age of 54 could be the answer or not?? Said daughter has happly done 84 miles with touring gear and 70+ in the linconshire wolds. Whats the thoughts. Banned on Health and Safety grounds!

JonC - we were the guys who parked next to you, I had the Trek bike with blue tyres. Thanks for stopping to help me out with the punture - I got 3 on the way round! Unfortunatley the compressed air cannister only did 1 tyre, and even that it wouldn't inflate fully. Am I just unlucky or are air cannisters a waste of time?

JonC

To be honest the only bike I carry a real pump on is the tandem. Co2 has got me on the road many times however I have been caught by short valves once..... If(?) you are lucky one 16g bulb will do 2 inflations. But dont bank on it! This Sunday I am riding the Melton Mobary clasic (on a solo) so will be stuffing equal quanties of inner tubes to food - in the end is "luck" if the flint or other gets you.

So for you what is next?

I did see a lot of punctures along the way with four bikes lined up together at one point.

I am still on my fat winter tyres that have literally not let me down in the 700 miles I have done this year. Good for that downhill bit in the woods too! Or was I just lucky??

JonC

I use Michelin Krylons on the sportive bike. They are reasonably light and claim to have a 3000 mile life - I usually get 1500 miles in Norfolk. Otherwise you are into very heavy duty stuff. Okay for tandems but not for the weight concious.

Top Bottom