Norwich 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam2008

Hi Guys, hope you all had a good weekend on your bikes!
Just a brief question about the Norwich 100 miles. What sort of time should I be aiming for?
Yesterday I did the Beccles cycle for life ride which was 50 miles and I did that in 2hr 50min.
Also, what sort of training do you think I should be doing in the less than 4 week run up?
Thanks for all your help.
Adam

Will1985

Über Member
To be honest it doesn't matter if you put 6 or 8 hours. If you did equal out and back 50 miles just like Beccles, you should finish in 5h40 riding time, but the compulsory 30 min break will put you just over 6 hours if you don't stop at the 75 mile point too.
IMO the riding time you record is more important than a certificate.

It is a fairly flat course most of the way with a bit more undulation when you hit the coast. Within a couple of miles of the start you should find a group to ride with at a nice tempo - drafting and sharing the load will mean you are going faster anyway.

Training wise, do some 50s and maybe a 75.

shooter560

As Will said its a fairly easy route at least from the rough guide they have set, a little undulating once out of the city to the coast, maybe a little more till the 1/2 way point and then flat till home.

I like Will may do a 75 but 90% of my longer rides are about the 50 mile mark, being in a group will make life so much easier and also faster, so try and hook up with some soon after leaving the start and warm up, then start to open up the speed a little till everyone is comfortable and keep it going.

Talking of which Will, Isn't it about time we rode together before the 8th just so we have an idea on whats a comfortable speed etc?? :wacko:

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Thanks Guys,
Going to do a 60 miler later this week so hopefully all will be ok as it will be my longest distance yet.
Adam

Will1985

Über Member
shooter560 said:
Talking of which Will, Isn't it about time we rode together before the 8th just so we have an idea on whats a comfortable speed etc?? :biggrin:

Yes - I was thinking this yesterday....in fact I am in Norwich next weekend and have already cleared Sunday morning in the hope of doing such a ride.

shooter560

Will1985 said:
Yes - I was thinking this yesterday....in fact I am in Norwich next weekend and have already cleared Sunday morning in the hope of doing such a ride.

I'll drop you a txt Will and see if we can hook up, I'll be out riding no matter the weather Sunday, though normally don't get back till just after 1pm

adam2008 said:
I live in Lowestoft but work in Norwich

Adam if you are thinking of riding from Norwich, drop me an email or PM and maybe we can hook up, I'll be doing some rides and being self employed I'm fairly flexible on times etc, also there is a good 1 - 1 1/2 hour ride Thursday evening from the outskirts of Norwich if you are about, its quite sedate till the last 3 miles or so and then the pace picks up somewhat, though everyone makes sure everyone gets back safe and sound.

discplayer

Hello, am new here after lurking for a while.

I'm doing the Norwich 100, it'll be my first century although training indicates I'll be done by the time the close the route!

The route's not dead flat like the fens but fine. As many have said, the wind can be an issue, for example, the weekend had gusts in the mid - high 20s and each of the next few days had low - mid 20mph gusts forecast.

I have been so lax in preperation and seem to have stuff on at the weekend so I have started cycling to work 19 miles each way to get some training in for Norwich.
I am trying an easy pace in the morning but really pushing it on the way home. I find that is really building the strength up which is what I need.

Must try to get a good distance in before the day.

As long as I finish I will be happy but a reasonalbe time would help. Difficult to judge as it is quite hilly here in North Hampshire and that seems to knock down average speed. I guess the down does not make up for the up! May get onto my big cog in Norwich then!!

Is a big ride on the weekend before too near? or should I be tailing off by then?
Not done it before but are you aware it seems to be going the other way round to usual this year?

One week to go!

Did a hilly 63 miles yesterday and did not feel too bad on it so I think that is about the best I can hope for. My guess it that 63 hilly miles is equal to about 80 flatter miles so perhaps I am not too far off.

I am thinking about a midweek run to work so I do not stop too soon before the day.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi, I did the Norwich 100 last year and knowing the roads in Norfolk fairly well I think that the change in direction this year will surely make the ride more difficult - even more so if it's windy (S, SW or W). My preparation has been plagued by 'colds' etc. Did a 40 last weekend and felt OK, and the cold has finially gone after 3 weeks - it's going to be a long ride though! Will be happy to do less than 8 hours. I'll will be riding an MTB though! A black Rocky Mountain if you see me - say Hi!

e-rider

crappy member
Correct, the first 40 are definitely a bit hilly although the 'climbs' are nothing to worry about although they can drain your energy if you race up every one! More like rolling countryside. The last 30 miles are pretty much completely flat and will almost certainly be into a headwind! Long straight roads often with a very slight incline and into a headwind - not a great way to finish. Of course, the wind could blow in any direction but it usually blows in your face along this part of the course.

Top Bottom