Norwich 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shooter560

I'm guessing we'll be coming back towards Norwich from the Caster area, maybe the back roads from Acle, if so I'd expect a tail wind, the cross wind round the coast road although could have a cold sting I've never had too many probs with it.

Best Idea is to get in with a small group who are riding at the pace you want to and life will be so much easier, plus you'll soon find a few extra mph just for the fun of it, and won't even notice the rolling roads to start with.

I should be mulling about just after 6am and heading out at 7, fingers crossed its not wet, don't want to be soaked all day nor carrying gear should it get out nice later on.

Will1985

Über Member
Current weather reports highs of 22C and a slight NNW wind on Sunday.

A slower outward 50 mostly into a headwind and then turning along the coast with the wind behind us for the return leg - should be good!

Capt. Jon

Anyone got a link to the route? I'm not doing it this weekend but could fancy it when i'm in Norwich seeing parents.

Will1985

Über Member
The route information I have in my pack is rather vague.

Norwich - Reepham - Guist - Stiffkey - Felbrigg - Mundesley - Waxham - Martham - Hoveton - Norwich.

The 50 turns back at Guist towards Blickling and rejoins at Hoveton.

shooter560

Nice possible route guide Will, looks about what I thought, a good work out to the stop and then a fast run in :angry:

Fancy doing a ride tomorrow? maybe going out with the Sat club ride guys (aka The Murder Squad, take no prisioners) 9:30ish else a couple of hour mixed ride after lunch.

Will1985

Über Member
I'm tied up in the morning. Have been considering the Godric Open 10 TT tomorrow afternoon, or a calm 90 mins to keep the legs turning over.

How did you all get on?

First half was a bit more lumpy than I expected so I probably slowed down too much given that it was overcast and damp so good to ride in.

Still had trouble getting going and struggled at 65 miles (it was further than I have been before at that point) but got over it by about 75 to put on a bit of a spurt to finish (well overtaking rather than being overtaken).

Quite happy with a time of 7 hours on the road for my first 100.

Did you see that field that looked like it was steaming? Sea air meeting warm ground I guess but it was strange.

shooter560

Well done OTH for a good ride, LOL, so many people think Norfolk is flat, until they get to the last 10 miles before the stop, still a nice sting in the tail :tongue:

Congrats also to Adam2008, Will and I meet him at the stop, kicked about till his mandatory 30 mins was up and then he rode back with us, honestly we didn't try to kill him but he did very well even staying with us when he wanted to drop bank and rest. Must admit I did need to force a stop for a few mins after a HR spike 20 miles from home, but 10 mins and I was fine.

Next year I'm going to use different tyres, getting a blow out 20 miles out and needing to call the wife to be mobile pit crew with replacement wheels and tyres as the side wall was blown out was a downer but still managed to muddle on till they finally caught me at the stop.

Weather was as OTH said damp and overcast in the morning, clear-ish skys and sun after the break making for a great day, whens the next one?? ;)

JonC

A great day all round. I have a very happy 10 y. o. daughter as we managed to get her around the 100 on the tandem in 5:51:03 (riding time). A good event but I wish they would include some food at the stops in the entry as "all" other sportive do.

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

It was a really good day. Thanks Shooter and also to Will for dragging me round the second half, sorry for not taking my turn on the front too much and if I slowed you down :rolleyes:
I think the organisers found every hill in Norfolk!
Not feeling to bad after a good nights sleep and now forgotten about the pain Shooter and Will put me through. Can't wait for the next time!

Scooter/Will, fancy meeting up one evening this week?

e-rider

crappy member
I must have seen you JonC - it's not everyday you see a tandem. You past me in the last few miles - I was really suffering from 90 miles and slowed to a snails pace. Anyway riding time of 5 hours 45 mins and total time of 6 and half hours (yes I took 15 mins at Waxham barn) Average speed of 16.7mph. Not too bad for a riding a MTB. Will definitely put in more training next year!

Top Bottom