Not a helmet thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Appearances to the contrary, I’m not a hat person. It’s pandemicwear to lock down my overabundant hair.

oqo5oMu.jpg

Do you like hats? Have a favourite?

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a problem ever likely to afflict me - you could set your watch by my haircut!

I am a hat man though. Baseball cap, flat cap, beanie, dependent on the occasion and the weather.

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
My favourite hat was stolen by some hobo in Bristol last August. My drunk friend left the boot of my car open in a hotel car park with all our luggage in. The bum only stole my bag, which I found the following morning, clothes still there, but missing hat, glasses, toiletries and my 2nd phone.

I like hats, but only some suit. I have been very partial to a fur trappers hat this winter.

figbat

Slippery scientist
During lockdown I have taken to having a daily walk with my wife/spouse/partner/significant other. Only 30 minutes or so but we go whatever the weather. For the cold days I'll grab one of the myriad 'beanie'-type hats lying around but where there is a prospect of rain, or if it is milder and I just want to cover my head, then I have rediscovered a hat I bought around 25 years or more ago:
1612459615113.png

(this is a stock image - mine is a darker brown).

In fact I've just been out in it in a mild rain shower and have a perfectly dry hairdo.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
My good old Tilley hat on one of its last outings:
Bought in Gowings store 1994 — a real shop for real people — in Sydney NSW; and the moisture is real sweat of the brow.

Plus a great summer find from last year:
Trekker Cap from Snow Leader (Reblochon), France. The greatness lies in the Foreign Legion-style neck curtain (not shown) which saves all the agonies of sunburn. Its shortcoming was the lack of any sort of chinstrap but a session in the workshop with a punch and some eyelets soon solved that one.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have worn hats for many years. I have my hippy hat, my beaten up world travelled bush hat, my top hat, my bowler hat and a small selection of baseball hats. I tend to wear them in cycles. The only one that is a pain on my bike is the top hat. If this thread is still going when they are unpacked I will put pictures up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I never used to wear a cap before coming down here and started wearing a baseball cap to keep the sun off my bonce but now I feel naked without it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm pretty much bald so I need a hat when the weather is harsh either way. In bad winter weather I wear a Lowe Alpine mountain hat (AKA a "Dangerous Brian") because I likes to keeps my ears warm. In the really, really hot sunny weather I have to wear a light, floppy camping / fishing hat thing for at least some of the day, otherwise my head can burn.
I don't like hats though really, so if the weather is at least reasonably benign (or if I'm indoors), I don't wear one.

20210204_181123.jpg

I know a guy who constantly wears those Kangol flat caps, (like he's Samuel L Jackson or something) and he has a big collection of them, he has dozens. It adds nothing to his already-low street cred.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I know a guy who constantly wears those Kangol flat caps, (like he's Samuel L Jackson or something)
You might like the one he wore in Jackie Brown?
Isn't that beret? IMO he's wearing it wrong, it should be tilted to one side.
If your friend wants the street cred he really needs the plaited goatee too :smile:

Top Bottom