Not a helmet thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As you can see,my hat stand is overflowing with caps,scarves and ties. These last few years i've moved from 'baseball caps' ('though i still wear them in the summer) to flat caps,even recently buying those 8 panel/newsboy/baker boy/peaky blinders caps,which i've often slagged off in the past. Albeit more for the person wearing them than the cap itself.:smile:

1612491454149.png

1612491566969.png

1612491664187.png

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Guilty.
Also of looking up prannock even though the context makes it clear.

The following, taken at the height of my hippiedom, should really be under several dozen spoilers:

View attachment 572154

View: https://youtu.be/mo3pIV1CLrQ

View attachment 572155
(Way too much of my life is spent searching for subjects with white backgrounds. On reflection, I should’ve just removed the disc brakes. I’m not as good as whoever turned me into a wookie.)

Funnily enough the hat in the OP was my wife’s. She offered it when she saw me suffering, and eventually ceded ownership.

Curious about the beastie above the fold in the partially covered up newspaper, I had a Google gander. No luck, but this was concerning:

View attachment 572156
The legacy press grows desperately insistent even whilst inviting a new #MeToo movement.

It was hot news from the North Walsham hedgehog rescue centre. Linky :okay:

byegad

Legendary Member
I wear some sort of headgear whenever I go out.
It adds style and panache, not that I need any extra of either!
Being rather thin on top* I need the cover all year round.

*It's caused by rubbing my head on the headboard!😜

During lockdown I have taken to having a daily walk with my wife/spouse/partner/significant other. Only 30 minutes or so but we go whatever the weather. For the cold days I'll grab one of the myriad 'beanie'-type hats lying around but where there is a prospect of rain, or if it is milder and I just want to cover my head, then I have rediscovered a hat I bought around 25 years or more ago:
View attachment 572079
(this is a stock image - mine is a darker brown).

In fact I've just been out in it in a mild rain shower and have a perfectly dry hairdo.

I wear a similar hat when it rains: I've found it perfect for keeping me warm and dry when cycling, which I guess is why they are popular with drovers, ranchers and other people who work outdoors all year.

I rarely venture out without a hat, although it's usually a cap, known by my colleagues as my "Fidel Castro" cap.

I've often wondered if the reduction in hat wearing last century was connected to the increased use of private vehicles, as it meant most people rarely step outside for very long, between car and destination, whereas people without cars feel the need for more protection from the elements.

Last edited:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I started wearing hats about 20 years ago.
1st was a leather Aussie cowboy hat.
Next was a Russian ushanka bought in freezing Prague.
A cheap Panama style sun hat bought on holiday in southern Italy.
Then a genuine Panama. The excuse for that was the Royal Jubilee garden party, together with a linen suit.
Then a fedora.
On holiday in Crete a few years ago the Panama got damaged so was replaced with a baseball cap.
Replacement Panama purchased on return home.
This winter I have a couple of beanies. They cover my ears to keep head warm.
The ushanka was worn yesterday in -2 weather.
My favourite hat stall Earland Brother
https://www.earlandbrothers.co.uk/cart
BROTHERS
EARLAND
Leicestershire Hatters Est. 1986

Untitled_Artwork_edited.png

A HAT FOR EVERY HEAD
on Loughborough market is not able to trade during current lockdown. This is annoying as I want a new fedora, this time with silk band.

I started wearing hats about 20 years ago.
1st was a leather Aussie cowboy hat.
Next was a Russian ushanka bought in freezing Prague.
A cheap Panama style sun hat bought on holiday in southern Italy.
Then a genuine Panama. The excuse for that was the Royal Jubilee garden party, together with a linen suit.
Then a fedora.
On holiday in Crete a few years ago the Panama got damaged so was replaced with a baseball cap.
Replacement Panama purchased on return home.
This winter I have a couple of beanies. They cover my ears to keep head warm.
The ushanka was worn yesterday in -2 weather.
My favourite hat stall Earland Brother
https://www.earlandbrothers.co.uk/cart
BROTHERS
EARLAND
Leicestershire Hatters Est. 1986

Untitled_Artwork_edited.png

A HAT FOR EVERY HEAD
on Loughborough market is not able to trade during current lockdown. This is annoying as I want a new fedora, this time with silk band.

That's a lot. How do you get through doors with all those on your head?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A HAT FOR EVERY HEAD
I don't think it's a silk band,but i think this summer hat looks good.
https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/jaxon-and-james-hats-toyo-safari-fedora-with-khaki-band-p126014/
This one is more for spring than warm summer days.
https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/jaxon-and-james-hats-crushable-blues-trilby-pecan-p140003/
I haven't worn a fedora before. It'd take some getting over 'what other people think' for me to wear such a hat. Though i thought people would comment negatively when i bought my first 8 panel flat cap the other week,but i only received compliments.

I'm tempted by both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom