Not been here long, but off the bike already.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Saturday is D-Day, I am off for a spinal decompression and discectomy (shaving off part of a couple of discs). I have been suffering from bad back and sciatica for months. I have spent a lot of money on non-invasive treatment (basically being put on a computer controlled rack), but unfortunately it has not worked, so the knife is the only option left.

I am not looking forward to the surgery, not because of the surgery, but the general anesthetic. My late father suffered an extremely rare allergic reaction to a general anesthetic and apparently it can run in the family. I am sure I will be fine, but cannot help to worry a bit.

Anyway, assuming I make it though it looks like quite a long rehab and probably off the bike for anything other than light work for the summer.

I assume others here have had something similar - how did it go for you?

Im currently recovering from similar...
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/there-is-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel.164232/

hope all goes well for you

A friend at work has just had the same done ( well the spine shaving bit) and is due to have another 2. He has improved dramatically after just the first op and is back at work after 2 weeks off, his balance has come back and his knee no longer hurts and the feeling in his feet is much better. A really wierd side effect is that he has had the snivells for the last 10 years which had just been put down to rhino viruses or something. this has stopped completely. ( hurrah as him sniffing all day near me for the last 5 yrs was a bit of a irritant). So hopeffuly it will be just as succesful for you,
He has been advised to get a stand up desk from work ie dont sit , but our company is not forthcoming with it yet, have you been advised of anything of the like?

I wish you well sir. I think you may find that general anaesthetics have improved. It used to take me about 48 hours to come round- the last time (5years), considerably better!
You will no doubt find some cretin that will opine that if you are not climbing Ventoux within 20 minutes if surgery you are a wimp, pariah and a total disgrace to the cycling frat er rnity

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks everyone, I have been spending some time reading other people woes to make myself feel better. You lot have certainly had a rough time and survived.

I was hoping that the nerve block epidural I had a few months ago was the solution, and it was for the sciatica for a week, I kind of knew from then on it was likely to be surgery, but the wuss in me and recommendations from others said to check out other options. I am glad I did, even though I am a couple of decent carbon bikes down in terms of cash.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, looks like I have a couple of nights in hospital at least, the the mother in law to look after me if needed. I will be trying my hardest to make sure that does not happen. I had my pre-op today and got excited when I was told that cycling was good for rehabilitation, but I don't think I will get far with just an allowance of 10 minutes per day after a couple of weeks. Still the turbo trainer is setup in the garage and a few RLVs downloaded just in case.

Good luck to everyone else with 'issues'.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So far so good, operation early this afternoon, the morphine seems to be doing its work as the pain is pretty insignificant so far. The general anaesthetic worries turned out to be unfounded which is good. I don't think I will know if it has worked for a few weeks, but so far I am very happy. I have some very natty inflatable leg cuts that constantly inflate and deflate, I am sure that will will be annoying tonight.

I think I will have a snooze, then onto the Canyon website to dream about a late summer reward for myself.

Thanks all and good luck to others who are suffering.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So a few days in and I am bored already. I am not allowed to stand up for more than 10 minutes and discouraged from sitting at all, so spending most of my time in bed with a quick wander around the house every couple of hours. I am pretty much pain free which is a novelty I hope lasts for a long time. Whoever invented surgical stockings needs shooting, I think I would prefer DVT. Luckily for me the weather is filthy so I don't feel I am missing out on too much.

Top Bottom