Not closing down anymore: Bob Jackson Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder if their new investment will take them down the route of the likes of Condor trading on their name. It is probably the best way to survive. Certainly their would be a market for them to modernise a few of the offerings with options such as disc brakes.

Custom frames are really a loss leader to promote brand awareness. The profits are made on accessories and clothing. The fashion industry does this more ruthlessly than anyone with high couture promotion of brands to sell factory made product.

simongt

Guru
It may well also be due to the modern 'McDonald's mentality' where folk want what they want NOW, and can't be fagged with the faff of having to wait some time for a frame specifically built to their personal spec. As some on this website have quoted budgets of up to £6k when looking for an off the peg bike, it can't be the price that puts folk off a custom frame. :dry:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just had a quick flick thru the off-the-peg pages; they all came with options for disk mounts.

I don't think they will modernise much further; there are already plenty of blingy places making modern-looking stuff with hidden cables, semi-weird-integrated headset and press-fit BBs.

Their USP is good quality steel tubes assembled well; it would be risky to mess with that identity. IMO!

Ohh, I did not realise that. I had a closer look - the Vulcan looks nice, shame no 1-1/8 headset option.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wonder if the old timers who currently run it will still be retiring, and someone else has essentially just bought it out? On the face of it, it's good news if it keeps going, but these sort of niche businesses need some continuity of staffing. Hopefully, all those riders either thinking of ordering a new BJ frame or getting an existing one refurbished will have had the kick up the arse they need to actually go ahead and get it done rather than just thinking about doing it some time when they get a round tuit.
The typical customer for BJ will be a hardcore traditionalist steel fan, and they will want and expect thigs to continue pretty much as before. I can't see there's that much you can do in the way of "investment" beyond maybe using a milling machine etc to accurately mitre tubes rather than hand filing. The hand built nature of such bikes is a large part of their appeal. You can't turn the place into a sausage machine without losing that.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Just come across this thread. Very sad news. As a young, bike-mad teenager in Leeds, a Bob Jackson frame was the ultimate aspirational object. I saw a few being ridden round the place and drooled. Later, on the bus every day to my first paid job (hospital porter at Jimmy's) I used to pass the shop window and its display, usually with my tongue hanging out. Sad that it has come to an end.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Have you read to the end (of the thread) ?!?

Heh, no I missed the last few posts and the news from BJ. Sounds promising, although the cynic in me says that someone with a lot of money has taken over and will be trading on the name and reputation while supplying less and less what BJ was famous for. The experience of Dawes comes to mind. I hope I am wrong.

It all started to go downhill when they closed the Harehills Lane shop, moan moan. :rolleyes:

arb99

Interesting thread.

First and foremost its terrific news that the company has been saved. The British cycling industry and the cycling public have allowed so many fantastic builders to whither away and die. The skills of the bespoke British builders were the finest in the world and its almost criminal that these were not maintained.

Globally there is a renaissance underway in bespoke building and incredible hand made bikes in steel, titanium and even carbon. America has led the way with some wonderful builds and the US bespoke building community set the trends and influence the influencers in the bike industry.

The key difference is outside the UK, especially in the US, Asia and EU DACH countries people are willing to pay a premium for a quality handmade domestic product. In the UK folks moan and groan about the costs of anything not mass produced in Asia and generally see anything not cheap as playing to the elites. Total nonsense. The very same people elsewhere in the world save their pennies (dollars, euros and yen) and understand the skills involved and are happy that the builders can pay themselves a living wage. Likewise they value heritage, brand and purchasing things that will last a lifetime.

IMHO the UK builders need to wise up when it comes to marketing and understand the power of social media and story telling. Secondly, us punters need to step up and support our few remaining British builders. Postpone that next Taiwanese carbon purchase and add something steel to your stable. Our bike builders were once the envy of the world and they can be once more.

Cheers,

Andy

classic33

Leg End Member
Interesting to note that there's another Bob Jackson Cycles Limited recently registered not too far away.
IMG_20201129_011718.jpg

Anthony Stephen Woodrup listed as a director.

Last edited:
Looks like an asset purchase... take the good stuff and leave behind all the liabilities as they remain with the 1993 company.
Some good advice given on both sides there.

screenman

Legendary Member
They have to do something different to what they have been doing to keep going, the accounts do not look inspiring.

Top Bottom