Not closing down anymore: Bob Jackson Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Interesting, I wonder if its the same Woodrup as Woodrup cycles, bit of a coincidence if not,

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Woodrup.htm

No - this one's got no previous directorships. Maybe a relative though?

However, on checking the 4 directors I taught one of them about 12 years ago. He was one of the better MBA students I've had.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although sticking religiously to that USP nearly brough the firm to it's knees. Carrying on as before will only bring that situation about again. I agree that they should keep quality steel frames as the core of their identity, but they need to modernise both the product and their business model if they want to remain relevant. Otherwise, once the current investment is exhausted or withdraws, they'll be back where they were last week.

classic33

Leg End Member

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bad news: Bob Jackson's has ceased trading with immediate effect after the investors pulled out - http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/ :sad:

Good evening,

This is an article on a 753 Bob Jackson (Branded) frame from the late 1970s, frame 1565 grams, fork 654 grams

https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2020/11/23/bob-jackson-753-1975-sb498-from-raleigh-sbdu-new-arrival/

Did steel frame makers get complacent and hoped that "Steel Is Real" would save them?

On another page the site's owner bought one of the anniversary Raleigh 753 frames and weighed it at around 2,040 grams, was disappointed with the lugs, the ends and transfers.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bob Jackson's customer base died off - literally.

A whole generation of cyclists have grown up with carbon fibre as the norm and don't have the affection for steel frames that us oldsters still harbour. There will always be a niche market for them, but it will be a small and expensive one with low volume manufacturers struggling to survive.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I was reading about the "fake" Bob Jackson SBDU frame a few days ago. Bit of an oddity that one. My money would be on BJ not being certified yet by Reynolds to use 753, so they displayed a ringer.
I don't think steel builders are complacent, but it's a niche market today and there are a vast number of secondhand 531 quality bikes/frames out there that many of us steel fans are happy to buy, often actually in preference to buying new.
The anniversary Raleigh frame looks to be a half-arsed publicity project implemented by someone without much knowledge of the product. You'd think a company with a 135 year history like Raleigh would be able to get their frame right, but then we all know Raleigh isn't really Raleigh anymore. It's just an importer using the name Raleigh and I doubt many of the current staff have much length of service or any real knowledge of the SBDU's designs. The frame weight sounds more like regular 531 not 753, as it's miles off what a ultra-light steel racing bike ought to weigh. Disappointing but not surprising.

Top Bottom