Not for love or money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When I was a student, I used to work in a bar, as many students do.

I was in charge of the cellar (as I'd worked in bars for many years beforehand). The cellar door was at street level, so, when the truck arrived, I put a large mat on the floor in the cellar so the full barrels could just be dropped down by the driver. I took the empty barrels, which still weighed a bit, and deadlifted them above my head to the driver above.

No need to go to the gym much then and my shoulders were huge after a few months of doing that 3x a week. :becool:

I did a similar job 20 years ago when working in a brewery distribution yard. I didn't have a fork lift license, so I moved everything possible by hand. Like you say, you didn't have to go to a gym, after doing that 5 and a half days (in my case) a week.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I couldn't work in a slaughter house! There was one near me for decades up till it closing about 10 years ago. Being polite, most of the employees there were shall we say intellectually challenged. Some seemed to enjoy killing animals according to reports. The place paid well and was one of the town's biggest employers. I was never tempted when out of work and to be fair to them the Job Centre at the time didn't sanction your 'dole' if you refused to work there.

stephec

Legendary Member
I couldn't work in a slaughter house! There was one near me for decades up till it closing about 10 years ago. Being polite, most of the employees there were shall we say intellectually challenged. Some seemed to enjoy killing animals according to reports. The place paid well and was one of the town's biggest employers. I was never tempted when out of work and to be fair to them the Job Centre at the time didn't sanction your 'dole' if you refused to work there.

I remember one in Great Harwood that I used to visit for work.

Turn off the M65 at the junction for the industrial estate where Karrimor used to be, upto the main road and turn right instead of going into the estate, about half a mile on turn left at a crossroads, then it was up the hill and off to the left somewhere.

At least 15 years since I last went there, but I've been in quite a few others and the staff have a similar attitude.

Jameshow

Veteran
When I was a student, I used to work in a bar, as many students do.

I was in charge of the cellar (as I'd worked in bars for many years beforehand). The cellar door was at street level, so, when the truck arrived, I put a large mat on the floor in the cellar so the full barrels could just be dropped down by the driver. I took the empty barrels, which still weighed a bit, and deadlifted them above my head to the driver above.

No need to go to the gym much then and my shoulders were huge after a few months of doing that 3x a week. :becool:

Yeap did that a few times in between going into the gents and ladies and fixing the broken toilet seats. Nice chilled job though being a pub handyman!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Dementia care...

I helped look after my father (was just mum and me), and it was a bloody nightmare. Not knowing whether you're coming or going, dealing with the temper tantrums and sulks, constant changes of mind and inevitable lack of cooperation. Having to put up with lack of sleep, physical violence, making sure the car keys and kitchen knives were hidden, and wondering about my own sanity.

The people who deal with this on a daily basis should, IMHO, be among the highest paid, not the lowest.
I’ve been there. Until you have to deal/ cope with it yourself, you think it’s just a confused old person telling you same story over and over again.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I’m retired now, but any job that involved Monday to Friday 9 to 5 . I was a shift worker for most of my working life . My employer allowed shift and days off changes with other staff . So I worked permanent late and weekend shifts.
Alarm clock not required and I could be out on my bike in the mornings . With the added bonus I had a great excuse to avoid weekend and evening family gatherings.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I would run a mile from any job that tied me down to a desk 9 -5, involved killing animals or required dishonesty.

Heights, shovelling poo, shift work, London, carework, heavy labour, hot or cold environments - I've done and enjoyed them all.

I worked my last three years at a desk under the beady eye of my control freak boss; those three years seemed longer than the previous 30.

Last edited:
Top Bottom