Not for love or money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Food taster would be my not for love nor money job.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
£100,000 a month and I reckon a lot of you would change your minds!

They might, but I wouldn't.

Sanity is worth more than cash.

I'm not sure that £100,000 would tempt me to spend a single day in London***, let alone a month in a job that I hated/feared!

*** If somebody would like to put 100 grand into an escrow account which I would have to go to London to collect, we could put it to the test! :laugh:

Last edited:
I wouldn't do anything involving handling inflated rubber balloons or ashtrays/cigarette butts.

After I retired, I thought I might be bored so took a temporary seasonal job at a large department store. Within six weeks I had my 'working at heights' certificate and was climbing up there into the rafters to hang stuff as instructed by the display/design people, only a couple of whom had the 'working at heights' cert. Didn't bother me one little bit; before I ruptured my achilles tendon I'd've happily climbed pylons or oilrigs or anything like that. Not that I ever did, but I did go on a Sydney Harbour Bridge climb/walk - brilliant views!

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
We got an ex pilot who turned to building and general diy.He did a great job on our landing.

Dementia care...

I helped look after my father (was just mum and me), and it was a bloody nightmare. Not knowing whether you're coming or going, dealing with the temper tantrums and sulks, constant changes of mind and inevitable lack of cooperation. Having to put up with lack of sleep, physical violence, making sure the car keys and kitchen knives were hidden, and wondering about my own sanity.

The people who deal with this on a daily basis should, IMHO, be among the highest paid, not the lowest.

presta

Guru
dog shoot bins
There's one near here that's had Poo Tin written on it since last February.
Traffic Warden.
My cousin used to be a traffic warden, she used to get threatening phone calls at that time. She used to talk alot about friendly shop keepers who used to offer her coffees, I don't think she realised they were just keeping her off the streets to stop her driving the cutomers away.
Heights have never bothered me......I spent years working as a "height safety" installer which meant working a roof edges of some very high buildings.

I also enjoyed the one solo parachute jump I did from 2000 feet.
Being a fellwalker, I don't have too much of a problem with heights as such, but I'm wary of situations where I'm too dependent on my sense of balance or strength of grip.
I guess it is to do with the common belief that the job involves strong arming people into things they don’t want but mostly this is not the case, you’re helping them choose things that fit their needs.
One of the reps who came to see me would big up his companies products against the competition. Fine, but then one day he turned up working for the competitor he'd just been running down and started on his ex-employer.
I get vertigo just watching people at heights on the TV .
I get vertigo laid in bed these days.
That was what I always wanted to do when I was a very young boy, but then reality set in with my lack of academical abilities! Looking back, I probably wouldn't have liked it. All that training, constantly being assessed, and suffering jet lag all the time can't be fun. And in any case, my atrial fibrillation would have put an end to my flying career even quicker than it did to my Police one.
I love everything about planes & flying, except that I don't tolerate getting thrown around very well. Winch launches in a glider are pretty steep, and that's about my limit. There's no way I could learn to do something like the drill for recovering from a spin.
I'm not sure that £100,000 would tempt me to spend a single day in London
I once saw my ideal job advertised in Electronics Weekly: the Science Museum were looking for an engineer to design the gadgets & gizmos on the displays. It was very tempting, but I knew I couldn't stick the commuting, an hour to Liverpool Street, then across London as well every day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I once saw my ideal job advertised in Electronics Weekly: the Science Museum were looking for an engineer to design the gadgets & gizmos on the displays. It was very tempting, but I knew I couldn't stick the commuting, an hour to Liverpool Street, then across London as well every day.
I once went to stay with someone in St Albans so I could go into work with him in London to see how certain of our company products were being used there. We got up really early to catch a crowded commuter train in. Then we went down into a crowded tube station and onto a very busy tube train. We then caught a really packed bus... By the time we got to our destination I felt knackered and that was before the working day had even started! And of course, it was the same thing in reverse at the end of the day. :wacko:

Another time I got a lift to Brighton to watch the Tour de France stage that finished there. We got caught in heavy traffic on the M25 on the way back and barely moved for an hour. I got really stressed by it. The driver laughed and said that he often spent hours in his car in heavy near-stationary traffic. Just chill out with the radio on. NO THANKS... I'll stick to life in the sticks!

I don't understand how people do it. I don't understand WHY people do it!!!

Top Bottom