Not getting on with fixed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Dave I rode strapped in the dark ages before clipped in took over, I was a very early covert. Back in 1968 when I first raced cross we did not have the option though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit not tried fixed with spd's

potsy

Rambler
Similar to the OP when I tried mine fixed side last year, did a few short rides but never felt comfortable, turned the wheel back to SS and haven't tried again yet.
Maybe it's just a case of persevering but I didn't really get the advantage, maybe I'll try again when I'm back into my cycling a bit more?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I switched the wheel round to fixed on my bike when I was a teenager and did a few terrifying trips to school and back. I still remember the fear of grounding the pedal every corner and the overall feeling that the bike was trying to kill me. Decades later I'm still traumatised.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dave I rode strapped in the dark ages before clipped in took over, I was a very early covert. Back in 1968 when I first raced cross we did not have the option though.

I have 3 bikes, 2 with clips and straps and 1 with clipless, I've tried to get on with clipless twice but always gone back to clips and straps, at the moment the bike with clipless is on the turbo and I ride clips and straps when out on the road, if I got an advantage from clipless I might persevere a bit more but but I don't so I'm happy to keep riding clips and straps.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The main issue is modern shoes aren't designed for straps. I started with clips - lovely aero Shimano 600 and Dura Ace 7400. Switched to DA Looks, but the lack of float on early pedals, meant I went back to clips for a while, then back to Look when the float was re-introduced.

SPD MTB pedals/cleats are about the easiest to set up.

D

Deleted member 1258

The main issue is modern shoes aren't designed for straps. I started with clips - lovely aero Shimano 600 and Dura Ace 7400. Switched to DA Looks, but the lack of float on early pedals, meant I went back to clips for a while, then back to Look when the float was re-introduced.

SPD MTB pedals/cleats are about the easiest to set up.

I use MTB shoes without the cleats fitted

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My comfiest shoe/pedal set up, by far, is my Quoc Pham Fixie's and double clip/strap set up. The set up really is like wearing my slippers. And like Dave, I don't struggle getting in out of them. But in winter I use SPD goretex boots.

Quick tip to get the pedals in the right place when stopped - one foot down, front brake on, lean forward to clear the ground with the rear wheel, spin to right position, wheel back down.

e-rider

crappy member
So, I've been riding my new Mango 'fixed' for a few days, but decided I don't like it.

I couldn't get my toes in the straps properly with the pedals going round all the time, and every time I stopped at, for example, a junction, the pedals were in the wrong place for setting off. And I definitely can't track-stand!! :B)

I expect I'll be told I should MTFU, but it took the enjoyment out of the bike for me, so we're back on freewheel. :thumbsup:
for city riding, a freewheel is probably a much more convenient option so why not. However, you will not be as cool and will not get as many girls! If you ride fixed long enough you'll get used to it.

D

Deleted member 1258

for city riding, a freewheel is probably a much more convenient option so why not. However, you will not be as cool and will not get as many girls! If you ride fixed long enough you'll get used to it.

Theres nothing wrong or inconvenient with fixed for city riding, I commuted on fixed for years, I've also used fixed for utility rides.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm exactly the same as the OP with my Mango. I just couldn't get on with fixed in a commuting environment, there was just too much other stuff for me to worry about that the pedals going round!!! I am going to put my Mango back on to fixed though and take it to the local park and practise until I get on with it. I may be some time.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm exactly the same as the OP with my Mango. I just couldn't get on with fixed in a commuting environment, there was just too much other stuff for me to worry about that the pedals going round!!! I am going to put my Mango back on to fixed though and take it to the local park and practise until I get on with it. I may be some time.

I always enjoyed commuting on fixed, I never worried about what the legs were doing I just let them get on with it, I always thought that not having to keep changing gear was a bonus.

Top Bottom