Not getting on with fixed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
So, I've been riding my new Mango 'fixed' for a few days, but decided I don't like it.

I couldn't get my toes in the straps properly with the pedals going round all the time, and every time I stopped at, for example, a junction, the pedals were in the wrong place for setting off. And I definitely can't track-stand!! :B)

I expect I'll be told I should MTFU, but it took the enjoyment out of the bike for me, so we're back on freewheel. :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get SPDs.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you want to enjoy fixed you have to be prepared to persevere. Pedals suitable for easy pick-up help (rat-traps or quills with a tab on the back). Moving the cranks at a standstill is usually by applying the front brake and pushing the bars to lift the rear wheel.

As others have said, it takes a while to get comfortable with fixed (especially going down steep hills!), give it at least a few weeks.
As Adrian suggested, some M424's might be a good idea, me and Mrs D run them on our tourers so as we don't have to wear SPD shoes if popping to the shops (ok pub) when away, you can pick them up for 20 quid (Decathlon plus others) at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1258

So, I've been riding my new Mango 'fixed' for a few days, but decided I don't like it.

I couldn't get my toes in the straps properly with the pedals going round all the time, and every time I stopped at, for example, a junction, the pedals were in the wrong place for setting off. And I definitely can't track-stand!! :B)

I expect I'll be told I should MTFU, but it took the enjoyment out of the bike for me, so we're back on freewheel. :thumbsup:

Getting in and out of clips and straps is something you learn just as you learn to get in and out of clipless, find somewhere where you can lean against something like a wall and whilst stationary practice getting your feet in and out of the clips and straps. All of us have our prefered methods of getting the pedals in the right place by lifting the back of the bike, I hold the nose of the saddle and lift the back of the bike so I can get the pedals in the right place.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Do what suits you sir. Your the one riding it. I love my fixie but they are not every ones cup of tea.:okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Do not stop pedalling I did first time on mine as I crossed the finish line in a 10 at about 30mph, I can to this day remember being about 6 foot off the ground and having the time to think, this is going to hurt.

Now I know only a muppet would put a fixie together the night before an event when they had not ridden one for over 25 years, but muppetry is one of my life skills it seems.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I couldn't get my toes in the straps properly with the pedals going round all the time, and every time I stopped at, for example, a junction, the pedals were in the wrong place for setting off. And I definitely can't track-stand!.

It takes a few weeks before it starts to make sense in my experience.

For the pedal position you'll find a way that suits you, I put the front brake on, push forwards to lift the rear wheel slightly and set the cranks how I want them, I've also learned to start pedalling no matter where my feet are- I do a bit of both.

I still can't track stand.

D

Deleted member 1258

It takes a few weeks before it starts to make sense in my experience.

For the pedal position you'll find a way that suits you, I put the front brake on, push forwards to lift the rear wheel slightly and set the cranks how I want them, I've also learned to start pedalling no matter where my feet are- I do a bit of both.

I still can't track stand.

I still can't track stand either, I've been on fixed for years and never fully mastered it, I can also start of from a variety of positions,, I've been on clips and straps for over 25 years but still fluff getting my foot in once in a while.

D

Deleted member 1258

I must admit to preferring spd over clips and straps, just put your foot on the pedal and you are clipped in.

Thats what I do with clips and straps, just put my foot in and go. All those years ago when I was first on clips and straps my club mates taught me about the sweet spot, where the straps are just tight enough for them to make a difference but not that tight I couldn't wiggle a foot out.

Top Bottom