Not getting on with Garmin Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My 810 froze once but has been solid as a rock ever since. Directions are clear and I set up each route with "map always on top" so at every junction a zoomed in navigation takes over.

The screen is a bearable size too.

The only issue I have is mapping, from the device. The maps I have often look so different to my phone maps and don't tend to highlight obvious towns, so finding a place on the map is very hard...even when I know where it is generally.

Constant freezing deserves to be sent back. As for the off course hissy fit, I just turn off rerouting and follow the blue line back to the correct junction. If you don't it'll ruin the route and cause you to miss points that you planned to visit...like your hotel!

I hope you can sort it as I find mine to be a genuine companion, it allows me to relax and explore with confidence.

I do always carry a small pocket charger on long tours as I like to leave the backlight on and that sucks the battery life.

Good luck.

PK99

Legendary Member
I used to have re-routing and it was a mess. As you say, now it's off. But it means if I've gone a mile or 2 detour (typical n a 50+ route) I find it no use get back. I have to use the phone map (which makes me wonder why I don't use it exclusively, hence the post).

I have 800 and touring. Never had a problem with either other than my own fat finger errors.

Somewhere in one of the menus on the touring and maybe the 800 is a "distance to route" option to display on the screen of your choice. I have navigated back to my route by simply riding to reduce that distance. Also, f displaying the map in automotive mode and you go off piste then you can easily see the tram tracks to get back to.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

iPhone, Quadlock case, Battery pack, Ride with GPS and a bit of know how.

Plan my route on Strava (Best for planning unknown routes IMO) Export to ride with GPS. Battery life is probably about 6-8 hours depending on other uses of the phone. My battery pack weighs about 250g and will give me that 3 times over.

The garmin is no doubt a bit easier to setup but the initial outlay put me off and ive mastered the above with very few issues.
...this is what I'm leaing towards without the batterypack. tbh 6-8 hours will do me for the day. I'd carry a small backup battery boost - I have one already and it weighs around 80g

OP
OP
M

Markymark

You can put up to 10 small windows of information on the one screen. To get the best out of the unit you really have to have a good play around with it to unlock it's features.
Yes. I've spent ages playing around and the metrics are pretty good. The weak point is a crappy map which I can't just navigate by, especially when off course

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes. I've spent ages playing around and the metrics are pretty good. The weak point is a crappy map which I can't just navigate by, especially when off course
I'm afraid I'm one of those who finds the map and routing works very well.
These machines really are Marmite.

mythste

Veteran
I just don't want to look like a twat with an iPhone stuck on the bars....that's the real reason:laugh:

Well you just scored yourself 100 miles of riding next to a twat :laugh:

In all seriousness, the quadlock is quite a streamlined affair - especially when mounted on the stem. I'd get some pictures but my only method of taking photos at the moment is with my iPhone...

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I'm afraid I'm one of those who finds the map and routing works very well.
These machines really are Marmite.
ok, say you stop and want to go off route for a couple of miles. Can yuo navigate by map alone as I find the map really crappy to look at and always use my phone for such occassins?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I can't help with the off course bit but seriously have a look at arallsopp's video. Have you put OSM maps onto the device? They are better than basemap or whatever the default sh*te is. Zoom in so you can clearly see the track and wait for beeps.

I made it to Edinburgh and back without getting badly lost so the video helps.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I can't help with the off course bit but seriously have a look at arallsopp's video. Have you put OSM maps onto the device? They are better than basemap or whatever the default sh*te is. Zoom in so you can clearly see the track and wait for beeps.

I made it to Edinburgh and back without getting badly lost so the video helps.
original maps which I thought WAS OSM?

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I think I see the problem now. Unless they've changed since I got the Etrex 20, the map that ships with a Garmin is the work of the devil!!! You can pay for a better one but most just put OSM on.
Not sure, as it was 1.5 years ago but looking back, the model I have comes with OSM so don;t think that's the issue

Top Bottom