Not getting on with Garmin Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ok, say you stop and want to go off route for a couple of miles. Can yuo navigate by map alone as I find the map really crappy to look at and always use my phone for such occassins?
Yes it just beeps to tell me it's off route asks if I want to rerouteand I press no.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Yes it just beeps to tell me it's off route asks if I want to rerouteand I press no.
No, what I mean is can you ride navigating by map alone should you want to?

PK99

Legendary Member
Yes. I've spent ages playing around and the metrics are pretty good. The weak point is a crappy map which I can't just navigate by, especially when off course

Navigating short distances with no route - set the map to automotive mode

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ok, I find it really hard to see, use....and my eyesight is pretty good. I just compare it to googlemaps on my iPhone which I find infinitely superior.
You can get different maps that are compatible for the machine. You don't have to stick with the supplied ones.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
I have one (a 1000) and not got the crashing. I solely use it for uploading gpx files and sticking avidly to them

agree the map is hard to read. Not yet tried plotting a route directly from the device

I to have the 1000 edge , where do you upload the GPX files from if you don't mind me asking , I like the route planner option of so many miles etc & then follow the route , but I'd like to look at other routes local to me & upload them but struggling to find any .

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I to have the 1000 edge , where do you upload the GPX files from if you don't mind me asking , I like the route planner option of so many miles etc & then follow the route , but I'd like to look at other routes local to me & upload them but struggling to find any .
Rwgps. Export to tcx then upload to garmin.

martint235

Dog on a bike
No, what I mean is can you ride navigating by map alone should you want to?
I have a topo OSM on mine and so long as I have a rough idea where I'm aiming for I can navigate by map. I think the drawback is you're navigating on a 2 inch screen. If you're navigating for the next mile or so, you can probably get away with it. Any further and you need to be zooming in and out a bit.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I have a topo OSM on mine and so long as I have a rough idea where I'm aiming for I can navigate by map. I think the drawback is you're navigating on a 2 inch screen. If you're navigating for the next mile or so, you can probably get away with it. Any further and you need to be zooming in and out a bit.
That's the trouble. Just opened map on it next to phone side by side. Massively easier to see, navigate, zoom, pan on phone.

martint235

Dog on a bike
You takes your choice I think. I don't think I'd be comfortable with an expensive phone hanging off the front of my bike. Plus the garmin does what it does well fantastically well imo.

I'm a non-convrgence kind of guy :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Open MTB maps are very good now, and give you lots of additional information. They work well on road too but give you more info on screen.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

You takes your choice I think. I don't think I'd be comfortable with an expensive phone hanging off the front of my bike. Plus the garmin does what it does well fantastically well imo.

I'm a non-convrgence kind of guy :smile:
When I fell off my bike last year my phone in the case in my jersey got trashed.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
it was 10 mins for a 4 mile ride. No idea how long a 1200km tour would take

Ah, yes. Sorry about that. It was originally intended for use with Audaxes, rather than tours. The main difference between audax and other ride types is the way you use the time that you're technically lost. On normal rides, this is spent generating narrative, uncovering hidden treasures, creating what often becomes the best part of the day / week / whatever. On an audax, the same time is spent muttering, "Idiot! Idiot! Idiot! I should have spent 10 mins for every 4 miles making sure I had the route down perfectly. Damn. I'm lost. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot." :biggrin:

Top Bottom