Not getting on with Garmin Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had it for around a year as I wanted something purely for navigation. Not getting on too well with it:
About 1/4 rides it crashes (have updated firmware and no better - seems common issue)
Has a fit every time I go off course (forced or by choice). I've tried switching off auto-reroute and it's just no real help. I end up mappig a route on my phone.
I find the map useless to see where I want to go, it's just about ok for directions at junctions. Otherwise all I end up doing is getting out the phone to work out a route. This happens most rides.

I am thinking of switching to iPhone. I see the most common con is battery life. I just tested it at work, fair brightness, screen always on, auto-pause off, airplane mode (RWSGP supports offline maps) and I've had 4 hours with 50% battery left - no real difference to the edge. I'd also take a small battery booster for emergencies.

I'm sure I can get a suitable waterproof holder. Last time I came off, I trashed my phone (rear jersey pocket) and had to flag down a car so can't see much difference if bar mounted.

Any thoughts?

pclay

Veteran
have you thought about sending it back to Garmin? I know a few people who have had this issue, sent it back, and got a replacement unit.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

have you thought about sending it back to Garmin? I know a few people who have had this issue, sent it back, and got a replacement unit.
Thanks. Partly it is the fault, but party is that I find it no real use on reading maps and finding routes. I think the screen is hard to see and clunky. The re-routing issue is also not a fault but just how it works.

In all, swapping it to resolves the crashes will probably help me 20% but I'm still not happy with the other 80%

pclay

Veteran
get it exchanged due to the freezing issue, then sell it?? I have had a Garmin 81 since November 2015 and it has never frozen.

It all depends on the use. If you only want to record rides, I know many people that just use a smart phone. Garmin comes into its own for uploading GPX files and following routes, and for measuring HR and cadence etc.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

get it exchanged due to the freezing issue, then sell it?? I have had a Garmin 81 since November 2015 and it has never frozen.

It all depends on the use. If you only want to record rides, I know many people that just use a smart phone. Garmin comes into its own for uploading GPX files and following routes, and for measuring HR and cadence etc.
No, I never record rides. All I really want is navigation and like to see speed/distance travelled. Nothing more, nothing less. Mappng on Edge sems pretty crappy and clunky to use.

I would setup iPhone then, as you say, sell it but wanted to find out if anyone is successfully doing it this way. Most likely rwgps app as it does all of the above nicely

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Which model do you have - do you prefer to route on the go or follow a route you could define before you leave the house?

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Which model do you have - do you prefer to route on the go or follow a route you could define before you leave the house?
Edge Touring. I prefer to create a route with RWGPS which I then upload the Edge. I usually stick 'mostly' top route but sometimes like to deviate along nice road/cafe etc. It's a real pain to use it off route. Find the map clunky and unreadable to find new route or find way back.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you're following a route, set the Garmin to "off road", download the track and the route and follow the track on screen (ish). The unit will still beep at junctions.

I can't access youtube from work but there is an extremely helpful video from arallsopp showing how to set up a unit for routes of well over 100 miles.

EDIT: I had an edge before I got my etrex and I agree they can throw a startling hissy fit if you dare to veer off route.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've had it for around a year as I wanted something purely for navigation. Not getting on too well with it:
About 1/4 rides it crashes (have updated firmware and no better - seems common issue)
Has a fit every time I go off course (forced or by choice). I've tried switching off auto-reroute and it's just no real help. I end up mappig a route on my phone.
I find the map useless to see where I want to go, it's just about ok for directions at junctions. Otherwise all I end up doing is getting out the phone to work out a route. This happens most rides.

I am thinking of switching to iPhone. I see the most common con is battery life. I just tested it at work, fair brightness, screen always on, auto-pause off, airplane mode (RWSGP supports offline maps) and I've had 4 hours with 50% battery left - no real difference to the edge. I'd also take a small battery booster for emergencies.

I'm sure I can get a suitable waterproof holder. Last time I came off, I trashed my phone (rear jersey pocket) and had to flag down a car so can't see much difference if bar mounted.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with my 810 crashing which, touch wood, seems to be resolved by updating the firmware. Not much help to you I know

I understand what you mean about the mapping. I am often in remote areas with few roads so it's not a problem. But when I'm in towns I tend to increase the zoom so I can really see the map detail. Otherwise I tend to take the wrong turnings.

When you say it has a fit when you go off route what do you mean? I've switched off autoreroute too. All mine does is sound an alarm when I'm off route. I either then go back and get on the planned route or I continue. If you touch the screen it will show you the mapping of where you are when off route, otherwise the screen stays frozen

jay clock

Massive member
I have one (a 1000) and not got the crashing. I solely use it for uploading gpx files and sticking avidly to them

agree the map is hard to read. Not yet tried plotting a route directly from the device

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I had the same problem with my 810 crashing which, touch wood, seems to be resolved by updating the firmware. Not much help to you I know

I understand what you mean about the mapping. I am often in remote areas with few roads so it's not a problem. But when I'm in towns I tend to increase the zoom so I can really see the map detail. Otherwise I tend to take the wrong turnings.

When you say it has a fit when you go off route what do you mean? I've switched off autoreroute too. All mine does is sound an alarm when I'm off route. I either then go back and get on the planned route or I continue. If you touch the screen it will show you the mapping of where you are when off route, otherwise the screen stays frozen
I used to have re-routing and it was a mess. As you say, now it's off. But it means if I've gone a mile or 2 detour (typical n a 50+ route) I find it no use get back. I have to use the phone map (which makes me wonder why I don't use it exclusively, hence the post).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you're following a route, set the Garmin to "off road", download the track and the route and follow the track on screen (ish). The unit will still beep at junctions.

This advice is key. If you get constant freezes then I have found that a hard reset ha cured the problem in the past. You do have to set the device up from scratch though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I used to have re-routing and it was a mess. As you say, now it's off. But it means if I've gone a mile or 2 detour (typical n a 50+ route) I find it no use get back. I have to use the phone map (which makes me wonder why I don't use it exclusively, hence the post).

I know exactly what you mean. Having switched off rerouting, if I go a fair distance off the preplanned route I do one of the following:

1) Zoom out the map so I can see broadly where the route is and where I am on the map and work out roughly the way back to the route (so effectively I am doing the rerouting)
2) Have a look on Google Maps if I can't make sense of the maps on the Garmin

The benefit to me in using a Garmin over a phone are:

a) Battery life
b) Displays lots of other interesting information like distance, speed, % gradient etc etc that I use to monitor how I'm going
c) Garmin fits better on the bike

TBH, for probably 75% of my rides I don't use the routing at all as it's a patchup of various bits of routes I already know. But I still use the Garmin to track my avg speed, feet climbed etc etc during the ride

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I

a) Battery life
b) Displays lots of other interesting information like distance, speed, % gradient etc etc that I use to monitor how I'm going
c) Garmin fits better on the bike
This is just it though. My test this morning at work has battery life comparable and the rwgps app has metrics on screen (speed, distance, avergae speed, elevation etc). Everything I need to know

mythste

Veteran
iPhone, Quadlock case, Battery pack, Ride with GPS and a bit of know how.

Plan my route on Strava (Best for planning unknown routes IMO) Export to ride with GPS. Battery life is probably about 6-8 hours depending on other uses of the phone. My battery pack weighs about 250g and will give me that 3 times over.

The garmin is no doubt a bit easier to setup but the initial outlay put me off and ive mastered the above with very few issues.

Top Bottom